Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

2nd Hand Smoke
Old 11-28-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206
Default 2nd Hand Smoke

30 Minutes of Secondhand Smoke Hurts

Short Duration of Exposure Can Lead to Heart Disease in Nonsmokers

By Linda Little
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Nov. 16, 2005 (Dallas) -- As little as 30 minutes of secondhand smoke can lead to hardening of the arteries in nonsmokers, Japanese researchers reported at the American Heart Association (AHA) meeting.

While most people know that secondhand smoke can affect those living or working around the smoker, most say that damage only occurs with long-term exposure.

However, Japanese researchers report changes that can lead to heart disease occur in as little as 30 minutes. "Exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke can result in reduced blood flow and an increase in a marker for oxidative stress equivalent to what occurs in smokers," says Toru Kato, MD, of the faculty of medicine at Saga University in Saga, Japan.

Thirty healthy male Japanese men -- 15 smokers and 15 nonsmokers -- were exposed to passive smoke for a 30-minute period. The researchers looked for the percentage of artery narrowing and for a marker of oxidative stress, which can damage cells in the body's vessels and lead to atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).

What the researchers found was that the arterial blood flow was lower and oxidative stress was higher in smokers than in nonsmokers at the beginning of the study. However, after 30 minutes of exposure to secondhand smoke, the levels in nonsmokers mimicked that of long-term smokers.

"Second-hand smoke is dangerous," Kato tells WebMD. "Thirty minutes is enough to produce damage, but repeated exposure is even more dangerous."

Lynn Smaha, MD, PhD, past president of the AHA and a cardiologist with the Guthrie Clinic in Sayre, Pa., says, "We have known for a long time that nicotine is hazardous to your health. These [results] show that even a 30-minute exposure can be hazardous to the lining of the blood vessels."

It is not like being in a bar where people have been smoking for hours, he says. "Just 30 minutes makes a difference. This study narrows the timetable and documents the affect with scientific markers."

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

so start smoking...

Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Smokes35
(+2)Bully on the Internets

Send a message via AIM to Smokes35

2nd hand smoke is cheaper.

French fries cause cancer, the suns rays give you cancer, over hydrating can kill you, eating rocks can kill you, shooting yourself in the head may or may not kill you, to much oxygen can kill you too--- so who fuckin cares anymore

Old 11-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Cakes206
The Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokes35
French fries cause cancer, the suns rays give you cancer, over hydrating can kill you, eating rocks can kill you, shooting yourself in the head may or may not kill you, to much oxygen can kill you too--- so who fuckin cares anymore

All the actions mentioned above are self inflicting. Just like smoking. Now if someone happens to be walkin in the city and a piano falls on their head while being hoisted into an apartment, then yer s.o.l. But no one forces anyone to eat fries till potatos come out their ears

Old 11-29-2005, 12:24 AM   #5
Qetesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
30 Minutes of Secondhand Smoke Hurts

Short Duration of Exposure Can Lead to Heart Disease in Nonsmokers

By Linda Little
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Nov. 16, 2005 (Dallas) -- As little as 30 minutes of secondhand smoke can lead to hardening of the arteries in nonsmokers, Japanese researchers reported at the American Heart Association (AHA) meeting.

While most people know that secondhand smoke can affect those living or working around the smoker, most say that damage only occurs with long-term exposure.

However, Japanese researchers report changes that can lead to heart disease occur in as little as 30 minutes. "Exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke can result in reduced blood flow and an increase in a marker for oxidative stress equivalent to what occurs in smokers," says Toru Kato, MD, of the faculty of medicine at Saga University in Saga, Japan.

Thirty healthy male Japanese men -- 15 smokers and 15 nonsmokers -- were exposed to passive smoke for a 30-minute period. The researchers looked for the percentage of artery narrowing and for a marker of oxidative stress, which can damage cells in the body's vessels and lead to atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).

What the researchers found was that the arterial blood flow was lower and oxidative stress was higher in smokers than in nonsmokers at the beginning of the study. However, after 30 minutes of exposure to secondhand smoke, the levels in nonsmokers mimicked that of long-term smokers.

"Second-hand smoke is dangerous," Kato tells WebMD. "Thirty minutes is enough to produce damage, but repeated exposure is even more dangerous."

Lynn Smaha, MD, PhD, past president of the AHA and a cardiologist with the Guthrie Clinic in Sayre, Pa., says, "We have known for a long time that nicotine is hazardous to your health. These [results] show that even a 30-minute exposure can be hazardous to the lining of the blood vessels."

It is not like being in a bar where people have been smoking for hours, he says. "Just 30 minutes makes a difference. This study narrows the timetable and documents the affect with scientific markers."

It's not really conclusive, being that this is a study from another country and we don't know the statistics of smoking and non-smoking people are in that country. Also, we don't know if the restaurants, bingo halls, pubs/bars and bowling alleys have outlawed smoking (ie, as NY has done). I think it's rather unfair of you to make such broad generalizations regarding some study from another country.

Additionally, the study talks about 30 minutes of exposure, but what is that based on? Did they test these subjects months, years or decades AFTER they were exposed??? We can't say for sure...

The bottom line is, if you feel that smokers are such bad people, perhaps you shouuld no longer associate yourself with any person that does smoke.

An addiction is an addiction, be it alchohol, drugs, sex...take your pick...you can't punish the people for their addiction...look at how many drunk drivers kill motorcyclists each year...but I don't see people writing articles on how alcoholics kill those around them...

Old 11-29-2005, 12:46 AM   #6
~Donna~
Wanna play doctor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qetesh
It's not really conclusive, being that this is a study from another country and we don't know the statistics of smoking and non-smoking people are in that country. Also, we don't know if the restaurants, bingo halls, pubs/bars and bowling alleys have outlawed smoking (ie, as NY has done). I think it's rather unfair of you to make such broad generalizations regarding some study from another country.

Additionally, the study talks about 30 minutes of exposure, but what is that based on? Did they test these subjects months, years or decades AFTER they were exposed??? We can't say for sure...

The bottom line is, if you feel that smokers are such bad people, perhaps you shouuld no longer associate yourself with any person that does smoke.

An addiction is an addiction, be it alchohol, drugs, sex...take your pick...you can't punish the people for their addiction...look at how many drunk drivers kill motorcyclists each year...but I don't see people writing articles on how alcoholics kill those around them...

:biggthump on sex addiction

Never make someone the center of your life for you will only be on the perimeter of theirs

Old 11-29-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

so cakes, does that mean you don't wanna see me anymore
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 AM   #8
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

blame it on the----> :twosmokes

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 11-29-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
benellis
Burnout

count me dead already.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:03 AM   #10
Cakes206
The Solution

Quote:
look at how many drunk drivers kill motorcyclists each year...but I don't see people writing articles on how alcoholics kill those around them...
Are all drunk drivers alcoholics though?

Old 11-29-2005, 09:39 AM   #11
FigNewTon
Shredded (Cheddar) Moderator

"Smokin is soo dangerous...it could kill you even if you don't do it!"- Chris Rock

Old 11-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #12
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Quote:
Actually it is conclusive. All the other items you mentioned have nothing to do with location. cigarette smoke, no matter where it is, continues to be cigarette smoke. I do agree with your statement below...

Quote:
Just because this test shows that there were effects noticed after 30 minutes doesn't mean they remained. I'm sure your lungs and your heart get strained when running, it doesn't mean they don't recover when you stop running.

Quote:
That reply in my opinion is a little extreme, but I don't know that it was directed at the population.

Quote:
Actually there are plenty of those articles, and tons of money spent on marketing campaigns against drunk driving!

FYI - I'm a non smoker, and unfortunately my girlfriend (now fiancée) of 6 years still smokes.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #13
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

I think im gonna have a smoke and think about this thread.

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK