Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Extreme Lean Angle > Track Days
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Need help deciding......
Old 06-10-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
TunerM
Learner's Permit

Default Need help deciding......

Let me first say Ive never been to the track but I feel im a confident rider. I am looking into either doing a school such as Superbike School or Penguin Racing school. Or doing a track day school such as TPM ART PT. Or just do trackdays. What would you guys suggest?Good and Bad points please.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
benellis
Burnout

I would first do the TPM ART Basic and get a handful of trackdays down to kind of evaluate myself, Work on Body positioning, downshifting while braking, stuff like that,then if you have the money and/or desire, I'd go to a specialty school like Freddie Spencer or Penguin just to extract the last 10% of your riding skill. Me personally would like to do a school, but I'm kinda just stuck doing trackdays!

Old 06-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

go to TPM's ART Basic school, you wont regret it. Easiest way to know if you want to spend more on a more advanced school later on.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 06-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

ART Basic will cover the foundation that you need to get on the track and do well.
TPM requires it for all firt time track riders anyway, so without it (or some other track experience) you couldn't do trackdays with them anyway.
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 06-11-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
TunerM
Learner's Permit

benellis, I see what your saying but sometimes you may think your doing it right but I could be doing it all wrong. Someone had recomended to do a school first and then use trackdays to perfect what you learned.

NYCStripes, I know I want to go ripp it on the track. I ride with a guy that goes to the TPM trackdays that ride in the upper level. This is definitly what I want to do, I just want to do it right.

Does anyone know if the ART Personal Training can be taken instead of just doing Basic?

Old 06-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
benellis
Burnout

TPM coaches are pretty good at observing what you're doing, alot of them are racers or were racers in the past. No you can't take personal training first. It takes time to. I did 4 trackdays in the beginner group, took advice from good riders, and gradually improved my riding. Moved up to the intermediate group, and let me tell you, some of those guys are FAST! Again it all takes time.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Art Basic is what you need. If you take PT Glen or John will figure out right away that you need to be in the basic class. Not only does the basic class cover fundamental riding skills but we teach you all about riding on a racetrack. Stuff like how to enter the racetrack, how to exit, how to breakdown a corner into braking zone,turn in, apex, & exit.

BTW, California Superbike School level one is very similar to ART basic and they wont let you skip levels...
TPM Coach #71

Old 06-12-2006, 12:58 AM   #8
TunerM
Learner's Permit

Thanks guys for the input. I didnt mean Im a great rider and can go to upper levels, I was just wanted something on a more one on one basis. I was just under the impression that on trackdays your just thrown out there on the track with a couple of pointers and if you ask questions you get input back. And schools are more specific in teaching you technique and more on a one on one basis. I guess Ill just try the Art Basic

Old 06-12-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerM
Thanks guys for the input. I didnt mean Im a great rider and can go to upper levels, I was just wanted something on a more one on one basis. I was just under the impression that on trackdays your just thrown out there on the track with a couple of pointers and if you ask questions you get input back. And schools are more specific in teaching you technique and more on a one on one basis. I guess Ill just try the Art Basic

one on one can happen with a TPM Coach but your also on the track with a lot of others aswell. in a range from 20+ at a time. you ask a Coach to work with you, and he'll be behind you watching everything you do from right to wrong. then after you go around say 2 times, he'll jump in front of you, and have you follow him.

at the end of the session just as your pitting out, he'll let you know what your doing wrong ETC in the nicest way he can, he wont yell at you or put you down. then he'll explain to you what to do the right way. and next time you go out you put that information to work. and you can also work with another coach aswell. but usually stay with the same coach. some coaches have different opinions an what not.

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Old 06-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack

I would definately go with TPM and do the art school. I started this year and have been having a great time. Definately a lot to be learned from the coaches out there and also there are a lot of good rides in all of the groups. I agree with everyone on holding off on the classes and getting a few track days under your belt first.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

TPM Personal Training is meant for people who have more time under their belt on the track. Do the ART Basic School, then get out there and practice what you learned, when you feel you need more help, the PT is a great option. I have plans to have a PT session in the near future for myself.
You'll get more out of it after you complete ART Basic.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 06-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
If your looking for a small class I'd suggest going to any other track besides Pocono for ART Basic. The classes at Pocono tend to fill up but we like to keep the student to coach ratio around 5 to 1.
TPM Coach #71

Old 06-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #13
lrntolive
Learner's Permit

Quote:
I'll probably be the only one here to disagree, but I'd suggest taking the California Superbike (CS) Level 1 first. The reason I say this is out of the two schools I've attended, MARRC RoadRacing and CS, CS was very structured for first time riders. They teach specific drills that you must perform during every session and everyone is watching you. The provide you with a booklet of drills, and what could be better than taking classes from Keith Code?

I ride with TPM, and while they are a great group, and the instructors are super, their level of instruction is not as detailed as CS (I'll admit I've never taken ART Basic, but my friend who took CS with me took ART Basic before and he noticed the difference).

I would not recommend MARRC Road Racing. They were not very professional.

Whether you decide to take ART Basic or CS, you'll end up with a love for riding at speed on the track. And you'll always make new friends. Keep the rubber side down!

lrntolive

Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #14
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

ART Basic is a class for Competent Riders. But if you are not as skilled as one of the others then you will have detailed instruction. One in front and one behind to make sure you are doing everything well.

You want a cheap day with some instruction and fun take ART Basic dude.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoUtHpAw
he'll let you know what your doing wrong ETC in the nicest way he can, he wont yell at you or put you down.
yes he will
haha
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts