Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > The Garage - Tech Talk > Wrench It
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

battery questions
Old 04-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
gottaducati
Gear Nazi

Default battery questions

My battery did not have enough charge to start the bike last season when I took it out so I had to pop it into gear. Once I rode it around it was charged up and lasted all summer until the end when I didn't ride for like two weeks and then it wouldn't start again. I put it away like that. I just bought one of those battery tenders and hooked it up last night. While I was doing that I noticed there wasn't that much water in the battery. So I have two questions:

1. SHould I fill the battery with water & how much? Full, half way, etc. iTs like a quarter full right now
2. will that tender be able to charge it back to life and how long does it generally take? (I put it on at like 8pm last night - now its 830am and the light is still red like as if its still charging)

Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Jimmy
"We got a runner!"

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy

Yes, you need to fill the battery with distilled water. There should be lines on the side of the battery. That's where the level should be. Careful with the little screw caps, they're fragile.

If the battery is that dead it may take a while to charge. I have the battery tender jr. It took over night to charge a completely dead battery.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
buckle up
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to buckle up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Yes, you need to fill the battery with distilled water. There should be lines on the side of the battery. That's where the level should be. Careful with the little screw caps, they're fragile.

If the battery is that dead it may take a while to charge. I have the battery tender jr. It took over night to charge a completely dead battery.
also ..how old is the battery?? and if all the fluid gets absorbed in the battery plates the battery can be come internally shorted..this is when the battery shows a full charge but when put under a load tryint to start the bike it doesnt have enough power and it will loose a charge quickly....

my advice is to get a new battery...charge it properly ..this way you do not strain your stator and rectifire charging system on the bike..because it is working harder to compinsate for the lack of power in the battery

WOW LOL I ALMOST SOUND SMART IN THIS POST

Old 04-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

Walmart has a put together battery for 39.99, you have to add everything and its all in the box I also had to charge it overnight. I had to do this the night before I did VIR

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Old 04-06-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
CBRBob
A 37 Production

What he means is that you have to add the acid and then seal it(like all the batteries like that are lol) Actually except for larger car batts, most bike batts are dry until purchase as well.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John217 View Post
Walmart has a put together battery for 39.99, you have to add everything and its all in the box I also had to charge it overnight. I had to do this the night before I did VIR
I had to do that AT vir when the batt on my gsxr died. So far its holding up well. it sat all winter and I fired the bik eup twice and it turned over prety easily.

Tom

Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
gottaducati
Gear Nazi

buckleup, the battery is not that old. maybe 3 years at best so i didnt want to give up on it, ya know. thats why i got the charger

jimmy - i have the same tender. the guy at the store said it was a slow charger and that slower is better. anyway, it did go from red light to solid green so i guess thats a good thing. I just got some distilled water. the funny thing is everyone has their own advice on how to charge a battery. this oldtimer told me i should take the caps off the battery, fill it with distilled water then charge it. i dont know anymore. i just want the thing to start when i turn the key...

Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Even with a brand new battery it's a good idea to use a battery tender. I keep both my bikes on one.
TPM Coach #71

Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
GinoE
Brain Close Behind

Send a message via AIM to GinoE

while charging, the battery generates heat - taking the caps off will help so the battery does not explode. also keep in a well ventilated area so the fumes don't build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaducati View Post
this oldtimer told me i should take the caps off the battery, ...

TRACK DISTANCES

the latest
Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
gottaducati
Gear Nazi

Default the latest

...so i left the tender on for the past week and its been green the whole time. Today I filled each compartment of the battery with distilled water and wheeled the bitch outside to start her up. She wouldn't turn over. Is it possible that the water dilluted the charge? Is that even possible? anyway, now I got her hooked back up to the tender with the battery caps off so she can breathe (whatever that means). the light on the tender is showing red like as if the battery is dead again.
oh well, i guess we'll see what happens...stay tuned

Last edited by gottaducati; 04-13-2008 at 08:28 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Dude, it's not a person. It has a vent so put the caps back and the water promotes the charge, not dilutes it lol. If you had it filled and on the tender for 3hrs and it didnt start, its a bad battery, period. Now its full of water and showing red, it's charging it again. If by the time the light goes green it dosent start, it's done.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #12
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

borrow a multimeter,check the voltage. EVEN a new battery, filled with acid and NOT charged will read 12+volts If your battery reads less than 12 volts, drop kick it into the recycle pile and buy a new one. Dont fuck around, do it and go ride!

ROADRASH IS LIKE A STD, YOU COULD HAVE AVOIDED IT IF YOU WORE PROTECTION !
Saxon's "little" big brother,older,wiser, FASTER
CycleMadness Motorcycle Repair
Belvidere NJ (908)475-2332
Mon-Wed 7pm-10pm Sat. 9am-5pm

Jesus may love you, but I think you're a cunt!

final verse
Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #13
gottaducati
Gear Nazi

Default final verse

well i thought I would finish this story so as not to deprive anyone of the final verdict (like you guys give a sh*t).
So I charged her to green and tried to start it up but she wouldn't turn over. so I ran it down the driveway and popped her into gear and she started right up like the sexy slut that she is. so I rode her ass around for a while and then came home and tried to turn her off and back on ...nothin.

Bottom line: dead battery.
Thanks for the advice, people.

btw, anyone ever heard of a Yuasa yumicron and what they cost?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #14
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaducati View Post
btw, anyone ever heard of a Yuasa yumicron and what they cost?
Yep, they are their better battery. Cost, depends on bike, place you buy it etc.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
RiderEd of NJ Inc.