Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Oil & you
Old 08-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Default Oil & you

Something to ponder...before I was in the hospital around mid May fuel prices for 87 octane were less than $2.00/gal. When I was released in early July they were up over $2.00 and now it's rediculous and getting worse. I guess when I get my cast off and am able to drive again I'll have to sell the car (which is only 5 months old) and get a new bike.

Due to the rise in world fuel comsumption being random 2nd & 3rd world countires that are just starting to enter the "industrial revolution", current prices at $67.00/ barrel are estimated to rise to $75.00 by next summer, we'll be reduced to bicycles by then. All the soccer moms in their towering SUVs won't be smiling at that point. This will have a dramatic effect on the price of everything. Trucking industries which make up a large percentage of our transported goods will either go on strike or imply large surcharges for to make up for their enormous costs for fuel causing a domino effect on the price of the goods they're shipping, including the cost of shipped fuel to service stations (FYI the average gas station owner only makes about .10 cents per gallon, nearly 50% of the total cost per gallon covers government taxes while the rest covers the cost of everything that's involved with the fuel itself ie production, shipping, etc...). D.O.T. costs for highway/ road maintenance will rise. Nearly all forms of public transportation will induce enormous fees. The fishing industry will be effected as well among many others being anything that's fuel dependent.

It just doesn't seem like anyone's getting the big picture here...higher oil prices effect the cost of everything else we depend on in life and unless something is done to reduce the costs everything will be so damn expensive that it will cause an economic melt down due to massive inflation. I think it's time for us to start tapping Alaska a bit more. Wake up Bush, cuz no one's planning on buying hybrids anytime in the near future?!

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 08-14-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Tonupboy
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Tonupboy Send a message via Yahoo to Tonupboy

I was wondering about that...in San Fran, it's $3.65 for premium...and yet nobody is really making a big stink about it. Looks like Bush and his oil company buddies are getting richer by the minute...yes, with the Domino effect, I doubt tapping Alaska is gonna make things cheaper anytime soon...think about it...if I'm an owner of Texaco, would I give a shit if I lower the prices on the pump?? Gas is an essential commodity that you can't just boycott...

...Hyrdogen is looking really attractive at this point...I'm sure technology is there, but again, if I'm a rich Texaco owner, and I have a big clout in the government lobby, would I want something that could mess up my profits??? Hell no...keep it fossil fuel!

Old 08-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

moved to off topic

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 08-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

87 octane? you don't put premium in your car?

i hear you get a pretty good gov't rebate or tax reduction for buying one of those hybrid cars. i dunno, if they improved those designs a bit, i think a lot of people would consider it.

this one dude on the r1 forum posted that he spent $14 for a tank! damn. i remember back in the day filling up my nissan pathfinder for a little over 20 bucks.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 08-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin_01R1
87 octane? you don't put premium in your car?
I put 87 in both my SV and my gas-guzzling Aviator (8-9mpg). The Aviator hurts -- bad.
I wonder how much MetroCard prices will increase due to fuel price increases.

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 08-14-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by njf4i
moved to off topic
Oh Nicholas my edumucated man......that's all you can contribute to this important discussion?

BTW, I thought it was in Off Topic.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 08-14-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
benellis
Burnout

Even though I do believe something is going to have to give, or bust in the future, I'm left wondering why the race fuel (114 octane leaded) at Wall Township Speedway is still at around $5 a gallon. It's been that price since 99' when I first started working there. I know during our test sessions at Richmond and Atlanta earlier this year, the Sunoco fuel Nextel Cup uses (112 octane leaded) is $4.50 a gallon, the same price as the old Union 76 they ran a couple of seasons ago. Why are their prices much more stable?

Old 08-15-2005, 01:44 AM   #8
Tonupboy
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Tonupboy Send a message via Yahoo to Tonupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I put 87 in both my SV and my gas-guzzling Aviator (8-9mpg). The Aviator hurts -- bad.
I wonder how much MetroCard prices will increase due to fuel price increases.

Isnt the Aviator Premium Only??? If so, that's gonna screw up your mileage.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:50 AM   #9
Vin
Ducaddilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonupboy
Isnt the Aviator Premium Only??? If so, that's gonna screw up your mileage.
Actually, for some reason I think I get better mileage from 87, but I'll look into it. Hm...

Old 08-15-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

Man i don't talk about gas. I just freak out everytime i fill my V8 dakota and it rapes me for $40.

That would be great if i got more than 200 miles per tank.

** oh and on a side note, you had this in "off topic media" smart guy. :lmao:

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 08-15-2005, 06:15 PM   #11
Vin
Ducaddilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Actually, for some reason I think I get better mileage from 87, but I'll look into it. Hm...
Ok, 13.1mpg on the computer this morning -- that's with the last fill-up being 87.