Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
He "thinks" the gas valve is bad? It's either good or bad. Not hard to troubleshoot. Also, I'm surprised he didnt have one on his truck. Pretty common part.
Do you think it could be anything else?

The gas comes on and lights but doesn't stay on, all the while the gas valve is clicking. each time it clicks, it looks like it's cutting out the gas a little bit. it just repeats this and after a little while, the clicking increases and eventually the gas/flame goes out.

He called another guy for a second opinion and described what he saw, who said it sounds like the gas valve is the problem. He took a couple tubes off and blew into them to make sure they were clear. He said something about a diaphragm.

One thing I'm sure of is that the heater doesn't sound the same when the gas is lit and blowing air...it sounds weaker. The air coming out of the vents in the room is cool...and from the room, the sound of the heater is not the same. The sound is a higher frequency...I'm used to hearing a bit deeper sound when warm air is actually blowing out.

If he ends up replacing that part and it's not the problem, do you think he will charge me for the labor? Parts is covered under the 5 yr warranty. The gas valve might not be the problem, but I don't think he's trying to rip me off. I've known him for 3 years now. He seems like a good guy to me.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #17
RCM78
Tech Nazi

It just sounds like the guy isnt sure of the problem. It's an easy check. If the valve receives a constant 24vac from the board and continues to click on and off or "chatter" as it's called, then the valve is bad.

If the voltage source isnt constant then the valve isnt the problem.

At that point it could be any number of things. 90% efficient furnaces like yours have a few more circuits then a standard furnace. Theres a few more things that can go wrong with them.

With that said. Rheem is a quality product. Thats a good furnace you have there. I think you may need a more qualified tech to diagnose and repair it.
TPM Coach #71

Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #18
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

if it's worth anything, his company installed the hvac for half the homes in my development. his vans has "rheem" painted on...of course anyone can do that.

do you think he'll be insulted if i ask him to check if the valve receives a constant 24vac from the board?

what's the best way to find the best qualified tech? call rheem for authorized rheem techs in my local area? do you know anyone in the south jersey area (atco/ceder brook,nj) ? hell, if you were local, i'd rather pay you after all the help you've given..

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Last edited by ronin_01r1; 10-29-2008 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
RCM78
Tech Nazi

If they installed it then they're a Rheem dealer. It's just surprising that he didnt have parts on the truck.
I'd bet he is more of an install mechanic and not a service tech. The boss probably sent him out to satisfy you and order a part.
Since it's been cold most heating contractors are really busy. I know we are.

Your probably not considered a priority since you have two heaters in your house. After they catch up a real tech will show up and miraculously diagnose the problem and have the part on the truck.
TPM Coach #71