Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 07-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #46
Bobby
Squid

Wow, what a hot topic. I wonder how many years the lane splitters have been riding and how many years the anti-lane splitters have.

I lane split and I've been riding on road for about 17 yrs. I started in CA for 2 yrs and then moved back to Joisey. There's a few reasons to lane split. You have less chance to get rear ended, you won't suffer heat exhaustion when the weather is hot and you're in full gear, your bike won't overheat, etc. I do it more for safety than anything else. Same reason I will split to the front of a red light, especially if I'm the last vehicle in line.

Yes I know it's illegal but I'm willing to chance a ticket more than I am willing to chance becoming a hood ornament. I won't bitch and moan if/when I get a ticket.

Not all the traffic laws are safe for motorcyclists. I'm not going to let some ignorant suit legislate my safety.

Now about lane splitting. I follow the same rules as CA has enforced about lane splitting. I don't go more than 5-10mph faster than the flow of traffic and I don't split when traffic is going more than 25mph.

I've had assclowns try to cut me off. I usually give them the bird and carry on. I did have one bitch in a SUV actively stare at me thru her huge side view mirror and close the lane, driving over the white lines just to block me out. I knocked off her side view mirror by punching it as I rode by.

Again, take your risks and accept the consequences.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #47
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock712
I rode to philly yesterday, a guy on a busa was lane splitting and got taken out by a car door....... the cops were right there ( because of construction) I tried to be a witness saying that the cager delibrately opened his door on the bike. after the dust settled. Cager needed a tow, because his door wouldn't close, the cager on the left got an accident report because of the door hitting his car, the busa needed a tow because it was all fubar'd.

now the ticket fun.... The cager that opened his door got a ticket for opening his door and hitting the other car NOTHING FOR INTENTIONALLY TAKING OUT THE BIKE, The busa got, improper lane change and reckless.

The cop told me the busa was getting hammered because he was lane splitting, its illegal in PA.....
Not that the lane splitting was right, but had that person in the car NOT take the law into their own hands and opened their door, the whole incident would of never of happened. The worse thing is the dude would of kept lane splitting...to be honest, who the F cares...people need to know when to just chill and keep to themselves...why get pissed off...what it really gonna get you? Wanna lane split, go right ahead, but if someone goes to switch a lane and really doesn't see you and you hit them or they hit you, then thats on YOU. But when a person does does something diliberate like that, thats bs. Need to take some anger management or some shit. 2 wrongs definitely don't make a right.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #48
jose padilla
Squid

I agree with you mostly but cagers have always had it in for bikers. I don't think lane splitting in of it self pisses cagers off. I think its the loud pipe that scares the shit out of them when the bike goes by at 50+ mph that rattles their nerves.

Hell anger management doesn't really work, however I find that masturbation keeps me pretty even tempered. My penis probably wishes I'd quit but hell it feels so damn good.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #49
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose padilla
.Hell anger management doesn't really work, however I find that masturbation keeps me pretty even tempered. My penis probably wishes I'd quit but hell it feels so damn good.

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 07-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #50
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Quote:
I agree with you mostly but cagers have always had it in for bikers. I don't think lane splitting in of it self pisses cagers off. I think its the loud pipe that scares the shit out of them when the bike goes by at 50+ mph that rattles their nerves.

Hell anger management doesn't really work, however I find that masturbation keeps me pretty even tempered. My penis probably wishes I'd quit but hell it feels so damn good.

What is the reason that cagers hate motorcycles? Not because it's a frame with two wheels and a headlight. Because of the jerkoffs that drive them. If you want to avoid any problems why do you go by lane splitting at 50 MPH and scaring the people in cars with your D&D exhaust?

People who do stupid shit (not lane splitting specifically) will make other people angry. Hence the reason motorcycle riders get a horrible name.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 07-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #51
TomMatas3
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to TomMatas3 Send a message via Yahoo to TomMatas3

the real reason they are angry is because they are stuck in traffic in their POS car and we are little so we can squeeze by free like a bird. they're jealous.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #52
jose padilla
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy
What is the reason that cagers hate motorcycles? Not because it's a frame with two wheels and a headlight. Because of the jerkoffs that drive them. If you want to avoid any problems why do you go by lane splitting at 50 MPH and scaring the people in cars with your D&D exhaust?

People who do stupid shit (not lane splitting specifically) will make other people angry. Hence the reason motorcycle riders get a horrible name.
I don't have a D&D exhaust, and I don't white line at 50+mph but I think you were just making your own point. Cagers can't comprehend the freedom and enjoyment that riding provides for us and in that fact alone causes them to dislike us. When someone opens their mouth about how crazy and irresponsible we are I just tell them to "wrap their trap around some cock and shut the F$#K Up."

Old 07-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #53
Tonupboy
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Tonupboy Send a message via Yahoo to Tonupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMatas3
the real reason they are angry is because they are stuck in traffic in their POS car and we are little so we can squeeze by free like a bird. they're jealous.

Soooo true....

This bitch cut me off today and wont let me pass, and saw the smirk on her face in the mirror...you could tell she's one of those bitches with cobwebs between her legs....cunt.

"That which does not become a part of the one, shall become one with the void."
http://www.myspace.com/b0nghit
Allegiance: None
Function: Universal Dominator

Old 07-20-2006, 11:50 PM   #54
jose padilla
Squid

Damn you should have asked her if she needed them cleaned out.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:23 AM   #55
akomplis
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Cagers don't understand the law even when it is legal.
Its legal to lane split?

Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 AM   #56
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Even then, its just not worth it...just takes that one time for someone to open their door on someone lane splitting, and now the guy on the bike just gets so pissd off and whips out a gun...chances are slim to none, but that person needs to ask themself...is it worth it? Crazy world we live in. Look at what happened to that little girl that was playin in the water from a hydrant, guy's car got wet so he shot her...People are F'ed up...This is with anything in life...its to short as it is, yea its great to stand up for what you believe in, but sometimes its just not worth it.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:17 AM   #57
crashking
Learner's Permit

First, I dont believe or care cars are out to get us intentionally, helps with the anger managment. A few here, inluding me said we do it by CA rules thus we are not flying by, etc.

Having done it for a while now, as long as you are around the 5-10 moh over split, you rarely get legitimetly cut off. You can USUALLY tell when a car is moving over, especially when one lane has a gap.

I find most dont seem to care, some move over, and every once in a while I get blocked, part of the act. Commuting from Jersey to Brooklyn, it seems New York is more tolerant, rarley do it in NJ (already got pulled over & talked to but no ticket)
In NY cops have more legitimate things to do then pull over a bike splitting "safely"

Ever notice how at a merge the cars fill every space they can? My bike fits a little further...too bad. When I do it I also intentionally leave a gap as I get close to let a car in, this seems to take away the appearence of being aggressive. It also follows the one car in from the left, then one from the right phylosophy. Now those people who dont follow it drive me crazy.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #58
xstortion
Late Apex

Send a message via AIM to xstortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
Wow, what a hot topic. I wonder how many years the lane splitters have been riding and how many years the anti-lane splitters have.

I lane split and I've been riding on road for about 17 yrs. I started in CA for 2 yrs and then moved back to Joisey. There's a few reasons to lane split. You have less chance to get rear ended, you won't suffer heat exhaustion when the weather is hot and you're in full gear, your bike won't overheat, etc. I do it more for safety than anything else. Same reason I will split to the front of a red light, especially if I'm the last vehicle in line.

Yes I know it's illegal but I'm willing to chance a ticket more than I am willing to chance becoming a hood ornament. I won't bitch and moan if/when I get a ticket.

Not all the traffic laws are safe for motorcyclists. I'm not going to let some ignorant suit legislate my safety.

Now about lane splitting. I follow the same rules as CA has enforced about lane splitting. I don't go more than 5-10mph faster than the flow of traffic and I don't split when traffic is going more than 25mph.

I've had assclowns try to cut me off. I usually give them the bird and carry on. I did have one bitch in a SUV actively stare at me thru her huge side view mirror and close the lane, driving over the white lines just to block me out. I knocked off her side view mirror by punching it as I rode by.

Again, take your risks and accept the consequences.

I got tapped on route one waiting at a damn traffic light this of course while not splitting. Its just hard to believe that people don't see u when u r stopped at a traffic light. Yet another reason to get your ass to the front out of harms way. Just make sure both cars see u and another rule I use is never fuck with trucks because the chances are they never see u.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #59
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Wouldn't you want to be in the back of the line insted of the front then?
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 07-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #60
xstortion
Late Apex

Send a message via AIM to xstortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
Wouldn't you want to be in the back of the line insted of the front then?
Not really I am talking about in between lanes at the front so I guess that would still mean next to cars rather than in front.