Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Any advice
Old 09-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Default Any advice

I have posted most of my rants about this over on CF. Anyway heres my dilema in a nutshell. Back in March my futura was hit by an FDNY ambulance, while i was at work ( bike was parked near the ambulance bay LEGALLY) so fdny fills out areport and NYPD come and fills out a report. Now i need to submit a calim with the city comptrollers office so I get an estimate ( 3300 dollars) and submit all the paperwork.

My claim is denied becasue there is no police report, I have been to the 67th precinct 5 times, each time they tell me they cant find the report and will call me. The fact I have been there 5 times tells you they havent called me. Anyway last time I was there I spoke with the sgt and told me I would be better off filling out a civilian report, more or less telling me the cops dropped the ball and they arent going to do anything about it. Now the FDNY is giving me the runaround, becasue I need the name and Lic # of the ambulance driver to fill out the report. I also called 311 and filed a complaint one month ago.

Today I call back to follow up the complaint and the lady tells me that I should call a # since thats where the complaint is forwarded to and its usualy sent there in 2 weeks. So I call the place and they dont have it and told me to call next friday. Now its been over 6 months and my bike still isnt fixed ( I am paying to get it rideable for now but damn aprilia has parts on backorder) and I havent seen a cent for it. I also have paid to register and insure a bike I cant ride.

I am not sure who to complain to but would like to go through the media to show how the city can screw over someone, esp someone who works in an ER and takes care of injured cops and city employees. They come after you if youre a second late in paying them money for a parking ticet etc... but they can screw someone around like this when it comes to paying out money.

Tom

Old 09-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Definitely start with the major news channels like 7 On Your Side or the Help Me Howard dude. Definitely get the media involved if you can. I'm sure they'll want to squash it asap to avoid them the embarrassment.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

They're obviously giving you the runaround, call the D.A.'s office.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 09-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

Call the local congressman/mayor. If no response, try the news.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Qetesh

I've been following this from your posts on CF. I think that you should definatly contact the DA or a lawyer that gives free consults and then go from there. Small claims isn't a bad idea either.

Definately do your best to get the police report.

Good luck Tom and keep us updated!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

I just e-mailed the Brooklyn DA an dam trying to find out who the local congressman is. I had tried contacting a few of the media outlets after my claim was denied, I guess I just need to figureout which one would be best to try again since they get swamped with stories. I guess cut and paste will be my friend

Tom

Old 09-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Do you have full coverage? I would just let my ins co. go after them...
TPM Coach #71

Old 09-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #8
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78
Do you have full coverage? I would just let my ins co. go after them...

Nope just basic liability. I have spoken with my ins guy already since they actualy are prety helpful and also ride dirtbikes. They told me dealing with NYC in situations like this can be very painful, but now it seems the NYPD has dropped the ball too and isnt very willing to help. All I wanted was to have my bike fixed to the way it was before it was hit and 6 months later nothing is completed. I was patient and nice about things, but now I think people need to be held accountable, and it should not have to be this painful in dealing with the municipalities esp in the "greatest city in ther world"

Man I cant wait t get the hell outof this damn city

Tom

Old 09-30-2006, 12:28 AM   #9
sonny
Craigslist Champion

DId you get a copy of anything the cops/fire dept wrote up?

if not you're fucked.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

dude that blows, i would start like Joe said, the news stations, then to the DA, Mayors Office ETC

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Old 09-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny
DId you get a copy of anything the cops/fire dept wrote up?

if not you're fucked.
That was my first mistake, but I never thought they woul dbe so damn incompetent and wouldne help to rectify the situation. FDNY doesnt give out its reports so I am working on getting that or at least the drivers info so I can file a civilian report. As far as the NYPD report thats moreor less gone forever since these asshats never filed it, now I wish they would come to my er with a problem so I could treat them as well as they treated me

Tom

Old 09-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
shadoxkila
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to shadoxkila

always, always, always get the drivers info and cop badge number when you get into an accident...even if the cop has taken all the info already.....this is proof that you never know what will happen when you leave shit like this in their hands..... shit i should know considering i've been in about 15 car accidents

Old 09-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoxkila
always, always, always get the drivers info and cop badge number when you get into an accident...even if the cop has taken all the info already.....this is proof that you never know what will happen when you leave shit like this in their hands..... shit i should know considering i've been in about 15 car accidents
The driver I should be able to track down since he still brings patients to our ER. He was very apologetic about it and is a good guy from what many of the medics have said. If I cant get his info through FDNY I can just hope to run into him at work and ask him for the info I am sure he will give it to me.

Tom

Old 09-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

if he's that cool with you, then have him accompany you to the precinct and have the report done over again at the precinct with the EMS driver with you.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 09-30-2006 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #15
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Well some progress, i got a hold of the FDNY saftey dept today, looking for the drivers info. They told me at first that they had the police report and would get me a copy. Turns out they only had thier report but they did have the NYPD report # so now I should be able to take this to the precinct and get the report. Hopefully things will be looking up since I will be picking up the bike on thurs since all it needed to be rideable was a new mirror, clutch lever and upper cowling.

Tom