Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Daytona
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
yetidave
Short Shifter

Default Daytona

We're here. After running back and forth on foot trying to get my shit together on arrival, we were let into the infield to set up camp. When we came out of the tunnel on the infield side I looked up at the banking and let out a "holy shit". Seeing pictures and watching races on tv just does not do it justice. It's a wall, no shit, a wall. Then as we were driving over to our camp site I realized that I will be throwing the bike into that turn and up onto the banking at full tilt boogie. :laugh: I've lost my mind.
I've got registration at 6 in the morning then a practice day to learn the track. I'll post up my impressions at the end of the day. This is going to be very interesting.
CCS EX #277

Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Best of luck on a new track and new bike!
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Qetesh

I hope you have a great time Dave! Can't wait to see pictures and read track reports!

Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack

hope you have a great time

Old 02-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
Barbi
Unscheduled Blond Moments

Hey Dave.. I'll be down Friday morning. You in a garage or what? Anywho... see you there

R.I.P. R14cd 6/4/06

Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
njracer
Team Kessler

FWIW, at speed the banking really is nothing.....however, heading into the start/finish/T1 area is another story. Expect to go as fast as your bike can go and then some (the draft is real).

Running stock gearing on my 2000 750, I saw 193mph on the clock (stock gearing and getting a draft) which would be some where around 175mph.

BTW - but some foam and tape it onto your tank where your ribs hit....Daytona is VERY bumpy.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
liquiddevil2000
Tank Slapper

i'll see everyone on wednesday...!!!!
if i can get my boys trailer ready~lolol

Old 03-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
yetidave
Short Shifter

Day one started with going out on track only to discover that my front wheel was out of balance. It started shaking like a bastard as soon as I got up on the banking. I thought "fuck it, I'm not wasting the practice, I'll ride around it" so I upped my pace on the next lap and as soon as I hit the banking I thought the damn thing was going to shake itself apart. I decided to pit in and get it balanced. So my first session lasted two laps.
I went out for my second session and the bike felt great. I kept turning it up a little lap after lap and I really got to experience the banking. Holy shit, it's not to be believed. Nothing can prepare you for the g force you experience here. Your body is pressed down on the bike so hard that it takes everything you've got to just lift your head up and look down the track where you're going. I was doing 176 as I came down off the banking on to the short chute to the start finish banking, as I crossed start/finish I was showing 180-184 on the speedo. It's just silly fun.
By the end of the third session I was feeling pretty good about the track. I think after my morning practice tomorrow I'll be ready to race.
Here's my little Daytona moment of the day. I was sitting at pit out waiting to go out and I glanced at the rider to my right, it was Larry Pegram. I looked to my left and it was Geoff May. I starting laughing my ass off inside my helmet. We went out on track and at turn three a bike gets my on the outside, I looked at the name on the back of the leathers and it was Opie Caylor. Crazy shit, and worth the cost of admission.
CCS EX #277

Old 03-02-2007, 06:54 AM   #9
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Sounds like an awesome experience

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
yetidave
Short Shifter

So I'm sitting in the trailer eating lunch and trying REALLY hard to relax before my first race. Dustin got roped into helping some people with the team challenge race going on right now. That poor bastard is going to be standing out in the sun for the next 2 hours.
I had two practices this morning and I felt really good. I was eighth fastest in my group which includes several 1K's, both sessions. I'm turning consistant 2 minute laps, which will put me in the top 5 in my class today. I'll let you know how I do.
CCS EX #277

Last edited by yetidave; 03-02-2007 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Good Luck!

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
Qetesh

Good luck Dave!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
CBRBob
A 37 Production

I heard the track announcer said Gary(locks) hair was coming out of his leathers LOL!
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Last edited by CBRBob; 03-02-2007 at 09:26 PM..

Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
RCM78
Tech Nazi

GO DAVE!!!!
TPM Coach #71

Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
yetidave
Short Shifter

I got 14th out 28 in GTO today. It was me against a bunch of liter bikes. It was good.
Ok, the race (a two person, 2 1/2 hour race) before mine was red flagged about 10 laps in due to a fucking horrific crash in the horseshoe. Two riders got tangled on the entry to the horseshoe and couldn't get the bikes apart. The rider on te inside jumped off and slid on his ass across the infield unharmed. The rider on the outside, on a ZX10, could not get himself off the bike and rode it full speed (120-130 mph) into the tire wall. I'm pretty sure he's dead. So I saw that happen knowing I had to be ready to ride in a couple of hours.....just great.
They call my race to the grid and I head to pit out, my heart is about to jump out of my chest. They send us out for our warm up lap and I was feeling pretty good about things. I got to the grid and into position (fourth row, 16th spot). At this point everything goes quite. It was weird, I heard nothing, and all I saw was the green flag in the hands of the starter. I watched and waited for her hand to twitch. It did and I launched. I got a good start and I picked off three bikes before turn one. We hit turn one and it's a cluster fuck, at least three bikes blow it and run off into the grass. I focus on picking through the remaining bikes and setting up for the kink before the horeshoe. I'm running into the horseshoe faster than I have all week and I'm cool with it. I crank the bike way over and jump back on the gas hard at the apex, the back tire spins up big time on the exit and then hooks up and away we go. It was at about this point where I thought to myself "this is the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on." I settled into a battle with two other riders. One was a guy riding waaay over his head (this guy was just scary) and the other was a very solid rider who I really enjoyed dicing with. We went back and forth for the next 10 laps 'til the red flag came out after a nasty crash in turn one.
My race in the morning is my best chance at a podium and I'll be turning it up quite a bit. I put fresh tires on after my race today, so I'll have nothing to worry about but riding my ass off.
I rode faster and harder today than I have all week. It was a very good day, and I'm as happy as a pig in shit with my results.
And oh yeah, Geoff May passed me on the banking today like I was parked. It was the entry to the banking, I was doing about 130, and that dude went by about 6" away at about 155. It was awesome. Oh and I met Josh Hayes today too. Cool guy. He signed my CCS credentials.
CCS EX #277