Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > Got Gear?
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 AM   #16
xstortion
Late Apex

Send a message via AIM to xstortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
Shoei or Arai. The build quiality of these two is second to none. HJC and Suomy next. The rest are just runner ups. If the Arai fits you, try a X-series Shoei as well.
I will keep that in mind...most likely going with the arai because the fit was good. Also I liked the weight.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #17
IrocRob
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstortion View Post
I will keep that in mind...most likely going with the arai because the fit was good. Also I liked the weight.
I think mine is a little on the heavy side...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Lid.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	4018  

...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Maximum Speed...

Old 05-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #18
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

Quote:
I have seen AGV helmets fall apart in 2 years time. Strap looked 20 years old, interior falling apart..........
My KBC was crap after a year and change. I had a shoei RF1000 as well and my head just isn't a Shoei head. My most recent helmet is a mid-level Shark S800 which i got for dirt cheap. Fit and finish is comparable to Suomy which is to say pretty good. I like the Arai Profile but they are just frickin expensive. I'm holding out for the Scopion EXO-1000 coming out in August.

"Footpeg, knee-puck and side tire wear tell how deeply the devotee partakes of our cult sacraments: the scuffs, scrapes and feathered side rubber from conquered forces, or the fractured plastic of triumphant ones, are worn proudly up and down our two-lane tabernacles as proof of personal enlightenment."

Keith Code

Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #19
SPL170db
Throttle Lock

I have 2 Arai's (a Corsair and the jap model RX7-RR4) and I love them both.

I also have a KBC VR-2 (<--- like the one Mladin's wearing there) that works very well, especially for the price. I've had for about 2 years now and is still in great shape, holding up at least as well as the Arai.

CCS AM 478

"Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing."

-- Dwight Schrute

Old 05-31-2007, 03:12 PM   #20
EvilSteve
I are not David Hicks

My AGV is getting a little ratty, I've had it for a little over 2 years. I have the TiTech too.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #21
shadoxkila
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to shadoxkila

i've had two shoeis and loved them both...but i always wanted a suomy but they were a bit too expensive. They are definitely the most comfortable and have great circulation with low wind noise, nice and light too

Old 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #22
Gigantic
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to Gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to Gigantic

I had an accident wearing an HJC, a 80mph lowside- I was unconscious for half an hour or more. I won't recommend an HJC to my worst enemy. they're complete garbage.
Lance
TPM Coach #108
TPM Social Media Marketing Director
Team Pro-Motion TrackdayMag.com Celtic Racing Chicken Hawk Racing Rebel Girl Racing

Old 06-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #23
xstortion
Late Apex

Send a message via AIM to xstortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
I had an accident wearing an HJC, a 80mph lowside- I was unconscious for half an hour or more. I won't recommend an HJC to my worst enemy. they're complete garbage.
Lance
U think with a different brand helmet u wouldn't have been unconscious?

Old 06-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #24
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

chekc out the new scorpion 1000.. looks good
has a bunch of cool features, like pump for snug fit ( kinda like the rebok shoe), pull down tinted shield so you dont have to cary a spare on or be blind in the dark with a tinted shield or blinded by the sun when not with atinted shield and form what i hear the quality is top notch and is only 300 dollars.. cant beat that..
i think My arai will be getting replaced at the end of this season so i am goign to go with the scorpion ex 1000 because of all the fature sit has the good price and the good reviews i have been hearing about it.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #25
Gigantic
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstortion View Post
U think with a different brand helmet u wouldn't have been unconscious?
Absolutely. In fact, I'd just had a conversation with a friend two weeks previous to the accident who'd been similarly knocked unconscious whilst wearing one- he warned me to get a better helmet. Shortly after my accident, HJC helmets were banned from racing @ NHIS, citing many instances of concussions. I got a Vemar next, and Just picked up a scorpion EXO-700 last weekend. both are infinietely better helmets than the HJC's.
Lance
TPM Coach #108
Team Pro-Motion TrackdayMag.com Celtic Racing Chicken Hawk Racing Rebel Girl Racing

Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #26
SPL170db
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
Absolutely. In fact, I'd just had a conversation with a friend two weeks previous to the accident who'd been similarly knocked unconscious whilst wearing one- he warned me to get a better helmet. Shortly after my accident, HJC helmets were banned from racing @ NHIS, citing many instances of concussions. I got a Vemar next, and Just picked up a scorpion EXO-700 last weekend. both are infinietely better helmets than the HJC's.
Lance

I thought they only banned their polycarbonate (aka plastic) ones. The regular composite shell helmets they didn't.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=25781

CCS AM 478

"Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing."

-- Dwight Schrute

Old 06-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #27
Gigantic
Short Shifter

True, but the problems weren't limited soley to the polycarbonate helmets, they were just most severe in them. afaik, they used the same foam liners in their CL poly & AC composite helmets, just the shells were different. Perhaps they've fixed the issues with the new AC-12 helmets. I have to admit that the AC-12 Carbon looks the business, but I'm reluctant to try them out, given my experience. One year after my concussion, while most of the symptoms are gone or have been more or less compensated for, I still suffer from migraines and occasional visual distortions. It's not an experience that I'm interested in repeating nor to I care to see others go through that. Until I see concrete evidence to the contrary, I'll continue to maintain that HJC hemets are dangerous junk.
Lance
TPM Coach #108

Old 06-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #28
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:
I have seen AGV helmets fall apart in 2 years time. Strap looked 20 years old, interior falling apart..........

I loved my old AGV but I have to agree it did not have a very long life spand. Now I rotate between my Black Shoei RF900, black KBC V1 ( absolutely love it, quiet and light) and my KBC Air Borne II which is light but not as quiet as the others, but love the graphics.

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 06-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #29
ZeRo_C0oL
Short Shifter

How is that Scorpion EX700 in terms of weight and ventilation? I know it's a moderately nice helmet, especially for the price in comparison to other helmets in its price range.. but how does the weight and ventilation stack up against the big dogs? It's hard to pass up at that price... and I like the fact that I can get different interiors for it

Old 06-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #30
67GTONUT
Squid

Send a message via AIM to 67GTONUT

Well, I went down to the Honda dealer down in Metuchen today, to size up a helmet....

Went with full intentions of sizing myself for a Scorpion, but of course tried on a Shoei..... Damn..... now I am confused.

Both fit well, but the Shoei just a little better in the cheek area. Still hard for me to justify over 2x the price....