Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 11-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #31
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes982 View Post
LOL, you actually answered...man yer slippin(o&a)
"Do ya?" (Jimmy)

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #32
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

Quote:
What about open air

Speakin of Image Dynamics, I had a set of horns, big under the dash things, SP-1's I think were the #...never had the chance to try em out though, ended up giving them away.
generally "free air" subwoofers have a high Qts (total Q) meaning the sub is very mechanically and electrically damped and therefore the "air spring" afforded by an enclosure for control is not needed. These higher Q subs also tend to work well in reasonable sized ported enclosures. Now it is possible to put them in even a small sealed, but the response would be very boomy, and efficiency would be horrible

The ID horns (HLCD - Horn Loaded Compression Drivers) were pretty cool, and yielded great results, but also required alot of patience. Best thing about them is that they play a very broad range of frequencies, to you can have a single point source for most of your listening range, especially if you could couple a good midbass close in proximity to the compression driver (fire wall mounting or very forward in the kick pannel work great here). Now add to that that thier placement helps with equalizing path lengths and couple that with incredable efficiency and you've got a very attractive alternative. Big downfall is expensive and require ALOT of wotk (meaning more money)to get to sound good. Placement is very critical, as one inch or the slightest degree off from what is optimum for the way the two sides relate to each other and your soundstage is shot. Now also factor in very erratic frequency respose deviation and your inexperienced installer will make them sound horrible. Here is where a good 3rd Octave EQ (minimum) and an excellent tuner are indespensible. BUT, some of THE BEST sounding cars I have ever heard had horns, also keep in mind, many very very serious studio monitor style speakers, where sound quality is first priority, use horns. I once checked out a studio set up built by a highly respected sound engineer, it was probably one of the best, if not THE best, listening expeiences of my life. He had 2 Compression Drivers, that each cost more than I make in a year, each with a custom made 16 foot long horn with 3 foot wide mouths, and then coupled with 15" midbass/subwoofers in HUGE ported enclosures. it may not sound like it, but that defined soundquality for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17 View Post
To add onto what others have said:

Sealed is for a precise tight bass response, they're excellent for listening to drum and acoustic bass sounds from certain recordings.

Ported is for a echoey elongated bass response, more of what you'd hear from digital recording from rap tracks.

Both can produce a clear, thumpy responses if the right equiptment is used, overall it just depends on the listener's taste.
Once again, maybe in general but not necessarily, it's all in enclosure design for the specific sub parameters. Many variables come to play.
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 11-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #33
xstortion
Late Apex

Send a message via AIM to xstortion

Thanx guys especially Omar, lots of useful information here

Old 11-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #34
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstortion View Post
Thanx guys especially Omar, lots of useful information here
He stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #35
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Quote:
He stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #36
sonny
Craigslist Champion

Buy rockford if you really wanna hit.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #37
Cakes206
The Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
Buy rockford if you really wanna hit.
Yea, and buy it from canal st. while yer at it

Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #38
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Send a message via AIM to Rev

I would power up 6X9's with 500 watts each speaker. Then get a bazooka and hook it up straight to the battery. If you want to add High's you can get a hand held boom box and 4 D batteries. Hope this helps..

Good luck

Old 11-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #39
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Quote:
...and MTX, the guido speaker of the early 90's

Don't knock it! LOL.. The same 12" solos have made the rounds in 3 vehicles to date. Feeding them well with the Fosgate 800a. Run the other Rockford (400a) for the corners, MB quarts with competition x-overs. Overall Its still sounds pretty sweet in the eclipse. Ask Ron,.., LOL I think his acura is still shaking from the demo.

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 11-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #40
Cakes206
The Solution

Need to throw in a 1 farad cap, just don't let a screwdriver hit the terminals, don't ask me how I know this

Old 11-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #41
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Yeah, Still have the farad cap, and the monster distro block. running 0 gauge and the Hi-amp fuses..... But I didn't lose the cap discharge harness over the years.. LOL
And yes.. working with the caps does get a little dicey at times. especially when the jelly oozes out...

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #42
Tonupboy
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Tonupboy Send a message via Yahoo to Tonupboy

Quote:
Sealed or ported also depends on what a particular speaker needs to perform to its full potential. It really is a detailed science, its crazy how just being off in any dimention will make or break the sound. Ports to long, to short, chambers to big, to small, even materials used to make the box, all play a part in making it sound right.

Without getting too technical, I listen to rock more than deep bass hip hop, so I have a sealed (Q-logic) box. I used to have 2 12" JL back in my techno/hip hop years, but the box was taking too much trunk space. But yea, it really depends on the quality of the materials and the way its built. Kids used to build home-made setup and theirs sounds like shit (especially when I would hear their trunks rattle - ugh!) - I did all my sound crap - even installed Dynamats between the panels...made a difference....cars have the worst acoustic environment.

So does anyone wanna buy my stuff?

"That which does not become a part of the one, shall become one with the void."
http://www.myspace.com/b0nghit
Allegiance: None
Function: Universal Dominator

Old 11-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #43
Tonupboy
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Tonupboy Send a message via Yahoo to Tonupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRBlue View Post
Yeah, Still have the farad cap, and the monster distro block. running 0 gauge and the Hi-amp fuses..... But I didn't lose the cap discharge harness over the years.. LOL
And yes.. working with the caps does get a little dicey at times. especially when the jelly oozes out...

LMAO...I still have my 1 farad cap (had to get it after my headlights were dimming everytime the bass kicks), and no jelly oozing - haha...how did u manage that??

"That which does not become a part of the one, shall become one with the void."
http://www.myspace.com/b0nghit
Allegiance: None
Function: Universal Dominator

Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #44
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonupboy View Post
LMAO...I still have my 1 farad cap (had to get it after my headlights were dimming everytime the bass kicks), and no jelly oozing - haha...how did u manage that??
Short a cap some day when you are bored and find out.. Most of the caps come with a shunt to discharge the current... safely, even though it does take quite a while to completely drain them. Same holds true for some of my home stuff as well. Caps are a great cheat to cover power demands. One reason I still hang on to my Carver M1.5t home amp. Only 2 channel but but its nice to have that kind of dynamic headroom / capacity. One of the best amps I have ever owned.

http://www.resnikoff.biz/HOMEAUDI.HTM

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Last edited by JimRBlue; 11-29-2006 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #45
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRBlue View Post
The same 12" solos have made the rounds in 3 vehicles to date. Feeding them well with the Fosgate 800a. Run the other Rockford (400a) for the corners, MB quarts with competition x-overs. Overall Its still sounds pretty sweet in the eclipse. Ask Ron,.., LOL I think his acura is still shaking from the demo.
After getting back in I was wondering how all my change got from the console tray to the floor mats.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'