Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

near death experiences per day
Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o
Default near death experiences per day

so yesterday I took my bike in to the city to work... the commute is about 12 miles each way, after work I went to Soho to play a little dodge ball (don’t ask) and than to BK... total mileage for the day is about 30 miles... in those 30 miles I had hmm lets see.. about 5 near death experiences.

1- leaving my house at 8 am and going to work, riding in the right lane coming up to a red light and some MOMO feels the need to mike the right turn form a side street right in front of me.
2- On the belt parkway, slow moving traffic ( I am not even lane splitting yet) staying in the right lane minding my business, when a greasy haired ginzo in his CTS decides to exit form the middle lane…
3- Get in to the HOV lane and head for the Brooklyn batter tunnel.. as I am approaching the toll a cop waves me down and says bikes cannot go in the two way tunnel and directs me to the tunnel which has both lanes going the same direction… so as I get into the tunnel traffic! (So not I am getting high on fumes) turns out a new Lexus 460 (the one that parks itself) decided to park itself in the effin tunnel… so everyone is going around it and over the cones in the tunnel I do the same. But when I try to switch back to my original lane another ginzo in his Escalade just barrels over a bunch of cones and floors it as I am gracefully trying to enter the same lane… ( a near miss)
4- Going to Soho after work, going about 45 50 on Houston street which is like off-roading cause its one of the crappiest streets in the city (its like being on a trail with your atv and some of those pot holes wills wallow your front tire while the bumps will let you get air) so anywho a cabbie decides to make the left as I am about 50 feet or so away from him…oh yeah but than he decides to be a good citizen and stop in the middle and let some pedestrians go by… slam the breaks hit a bunch of potholes and bumps.. let go of the breaks and at the last second dive right barely avoiding the cab.
5- Going home at around 10:30 pm… finally get back on the belt and there is no traffic so I open it up a bit… some stupid riced out civic or some crap tries to race me but he cant keep it in his own lane… twice almost runs me of the damn road an din to the dividers. I reach in my pocket grab a hand full of change, fire it at his windshield down shift… and twist the wrist…

All in all 5 near death experiences in 30 miles…
Not to shabby for my first day of the season

Post up your stories..

Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
CBRBob
A 37 Production

I rode, I was aware that people are assholes, I saw their stupid shit before it happened, I didn't have to make carzy moves or get upset. If you find this happening so often, IT'S YOUR FAULT. Pay attention, this will happen less if you do.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 04-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
buckle up
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to buckle up

I PUNCH PEOPLES MIRRORS OFF

Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
I rode, I was aware that people are assholes, I saw their stupid shit before it happened, I didn't have to make carzy moves or get upset. If you find this happening so often, IT'S YOUR FAULT. Pay attention, this will happen less if you do.
i am not upset at all.. trust me i avoided alot more stupid shit (as u put it)

besides... riding on higways in NJ is much much different than riding in NYC..
trust me

Old 04-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

If I never had a near death experience after throwing a leg over I'd think something was terribly wrong.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17 View Post
If I never had a near death experience after throwing a leg over I'd think something was terribly wrong.

Thats a horrible way to view motorcycling.
TPM Coach #71

Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Hey watch the ginzo comments... What are you prejudice against Italians? Can you believe in this day and age someone is prejudice against Italians??
TPM Coach #71

Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Wrong, it's part of the deal, I'm sure you know that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
Thats a horrible way to view motorcycling.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 04-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Wrong, it's part of the deal, I'm sure you know that too.
If I had a "Near Death" experience every time I rode a motorcycle I'd stop riding.

Heres a fact for you. I've ridden thousands of miles without a near death experience. That includes countless motocross crashes, one street crash and one racetrack crash. Not once was I near death.

Heres another fact for you. I've ridden for years and thousands of miles on the street and not had a close call. How could that be possible if it's "part of the deal"? I've listened, learned, practiced, and learned some more. Skill and experience give me the ability to reduce the risk.

I think Bob summed it up pretty good. If you expect the unexpected you can avoid it...
TPM Coach #71

Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
capone609
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to capone609

toot toot toot since everyone seems to be tooting their own horn i blew mine

Old 04-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #11
causef0rconcern
Up On One

Send a message via AIM to causef0rconcern

how bout near loss of license experiences? i just got clocked 20 minutes ago...48 over. with my current record, that would have been my license. my job as a driver, goodbye. my ability to any job after i lost that one, goodbye. ability to get to school goodbye. social life goodbye. i'm pretty sure i will never fucking learn. i'm starting to be pretty sure that i shouldn't have the privilege to drive. 9 tickets last summer on the bike, one a few weeks ago in a car in myrtle beach, and tonight would be my first two wheeled ticket of 08. i hate myself.

he hooked me up BIG TIME. gave me "unclear plates". 54 bucks. i'm terribly worried i still didn't learn.

'00 Suzuki GSX-R 750: Lonely in NJ.
'92 Honda VFR750 streetfighter: 500lbs of all weather, curb hopping, apocalypse-ready, pothole-eating urban assault device

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE MOTORIZED

Old 04-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #12
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by causef0rconcern View Post
i'm terribly worried i still didn't learn.
You didnt learn from last thursdays events?
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 04-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Bob is on point as always, that issue was never questioned, at least not by me.

I've been riding for over 10 years on and off the street and if I had your mentality I would've quit riding years ago. Most of us know skill and experience only go so far, unless someone's capable of controlling the actions of all other beings and objects in their path of travel, and if that's the case I'd love to meet that person, otherwise you're in danger from the moment you throw a leg over and that danger most certainly can include near death experiences.

Things can go terribly wrong due to a get off causing you to lose your life, and just because it supposedly hasn't happened to you doesn't mean the situation can't exist for thousands of others. You don't have to go down at mach 2 for such a situation to occur, and I shouldn't have to provide further examples for you because I'm sure you can reflect on serious situations you've avoided, hence possible "near death", situations over the years, however your opinion of them might vary to support your statements.

No rider can ever predict the possible post danger level of any predetermined situation until they executed a decision and experienced the aftermath, and if you can then you must be that special guy I mentioned in my first paragraph...so yes, it is, "part of the deal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
If I had a "Near Death" experience every time I rode a motorcycle I'd stop riding.

Heres a fact for you. I've ridden thousands of miles without a near death experience. That includes countless motocross crashes, one street crash and one racetrack crash. Not once was I near death.

Heres another fact for you. I've ridden for years and thousands of miles on the street and not had a close call. How could that be possible if it's "part of the deal"? I've listened, learned, practiced, and learned some more. Skill and experience give me the ability to reduce the risk.

I think Bob summed it up pretty good. If you expect the unexpected you can avoid it...

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
soda7o
Lazy Ass

i did not mean to start drama... sorry

Old 04-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
suzis_date
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to suzis_date

Quote:
Bob is on point as always, that issue was never questioned, at least not by me.

I've been riding for over 10 years on and off the street and if I had your mentality I would've quit riding years ago. Most of us know skill and experience only go so far, unless someone's capable of controlling the actions of all other beings and objects in their path of travel, and if that's the case I'd love to meet that person, otherwise you're in danger from the moment you throw a leg over and that danger most certainly can include near death experiences.

Things can go terribly wrong due to a get off causing you to lose your life, and just because it supposedly hasn't happened to you doesn't mean the situation can't exist for thousands of others. You don't have to go down at mach 2 for such a situation to occur, and I shouldn't have to provide further examples for you because I'm sure you can reflect on serious situations you've avoided, hence possible "near death", situations over the years, however your opinion of them might vary to support your statements.

No rider can ever predict the possible post danger level of any predetermined situation until they executed a decision and experienced the aftermath, and if you can then you must be that special guy I mentioned in my first paragraph...so yes, it is, "part of the deal".
Non of us are omnipotent, so everything we do is potentially life threatning. You can be taken out just walking down the street kid. For real.

I ride to fill in the gaps inbetween snowboarding seasons.....