Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Extreme Lean Angle > Track Days
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #16
Gigantic
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to Gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to Gigantic

For me, it wasn't just the bumps- one of my alltime favorite tracks is Grattan which is almost as bad as Pocono was... no, it's the squid-factor that put it over the edge for me; too many people riding way above their limit. Oddly enough, that wasn't much of an issue this past weekend. Only two red flags for both days in the Advanced group, coincidentally in the same session, Sunday, after lunch and no transports that I'm aware of either.
TPM Coach #108
TPM Social Media Marketing Director
Team Pro-Motion TrackdayMag.com Celtic Racing Chicken Hawk Racing Rebel Girl Racing

Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 AM   #17
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
I still don't get why you all hate Pocono. It's not my favorite place but you trade a little bit of surface for location. The East course is a great layout, lots of fun. If you can't handle a few (now less) bumps, how will you ever handle them anywhere else?
Bob,
maybe if I explain it this way it will not see like so much "hating" a towards Pocono.
I love that Pocono is less than 3 hours from me. I wish that they took better care of the infield. I like the layout of the East course but I am disappointed that the abuse the cars put to the asphalt degrades the quality of the ride there.

I like the layout of the East course as well as the FUSA and North courses. I believe the North is in the best shape of them all, but its the simplest of the three layouts that I like. FUSA got some much needed repairs last season with the two repair sections at the tunnel turn and the end of the back straight where the "turtle" used to be burried.

I think that every hobby that's worth is generally expensive. With that considered, I try to get the best bang for the buck and like to try different tracks as I can get to them. With the growing cost of participating in this sport, I would also like to see a decent facility for my $200+ track day.
I guess I can consider myself spoiled after getting to ride at VIR, Beaverun and
Summit Point. Summit has its track surface issues too, but compared to Pocono its still a world apart.

I guess I would put some effort into defending Pocono if they only spend a little time and effort in making some improvements to the layout of the East or FUSA layouts. Smoothing the terrain around the track so that anyone that runs off has a chance to not total the bike because they had the unfortunate luck to hit a pot hole in the grass after saving the possibilty of a crash.

I think its not too much to wish for and if they did some of this I would be more supportive of that facility.
See you Friday at FUSA.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
HondaGalToo
Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES View Post
Bob,
maybe if I explain it this way it will not see like so much "hating" a towards Pocono.
I love that Pocono is less than 3 hours from me. I wish that they took better care of the infield. I like the layout of the East course but I am disappointed that the abuse the cars put to the asphalt degrades the quality of the ride there.

I like the layout of the East course as well as the FUSA and North courses. I believe the North is in the best shape of them all, but its the simplest of the three layouts that I like. FUSA got some much needed repairs last season with the two repair sections at the tunnel turn and the end of the back straight where the "turtle" used to be burried.

I think that every hobby that's worth is generally expensive. With that considered, I try to get the best bang for the buck and like to try different tracks as I can get to them. With the growing cost of participating in this sport, I would also like to see a decent facility for my $200+ track day.
I guess I can consider myself spoiled after getting to ride at VIR, Beaverun and
Summit Point. Summit has its track surface issues too, but compared to Pocono its still a world apart.

I guess I would put some effort into defending Pocono if they only spend a little time and effort in making some improvements to the layout of the East or FUSA layouts. Smoothing the terrain around the track so that anyone that runs off has a chance to not total the bike because they had the unfortunate luck to hit a pot hole in the grass after saving the possibilty of a crash.

I think its not too much to wish for and if they did some of this I would be more supportive of that facility.
See you Friday at FUSA.
Ken
It also doesn't help that Pocono's attitude is such they they don't care whether or not a motorcycle turns a wheel on their courses. At least that's the answer they gave years ago when questioned about safety upgrades. I doubt their attitude has changed.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #19
EvilSteve
I are not David Hicks

Wow am I ever psyched for my upcoming track day at Pocono East... *sigh*

Old 04-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #20
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
You mean Le Sigh...fuggin kangaroos

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #21
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
It also doesn't help that Pocono's attitude is such they they don't care whether or not a motorcycle turns a wheel on their courses. At least that's the answer they gave years ago when questioned about safety upgrades. I doubt their attitude has changed.
I am sure their attitude will change next year when thunderbolt opens in NJ. I am sure all the track clubs will shift the bulk of their dates there.

Tom

Old 04-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #22
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Quote:
It's not that bad in all honesty. Just ride and have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #23
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Steve
Pocono can still be a great time. There are just other facilities that do a bit more to keep the condition of the road surface in good shape.

After riding there for a couple of seasons, the small things become an issue. Don't worry, I am sure you will enjoy your track day there. Just be sure to make time to hit some of the other tracks listed on TPM's calendar so you can decide for yourself.

Remember a bad day at the track is still better than gong to work.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 04-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #24
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES View Post
Steve
Pocono can still be a great time. There are just other facilities that do a bit more to keep the condition of the road surface in good shape.

After riding there for a couple of seasons, the small things become an issue. Don't worry, I am sure you will enjoy your track day there. Just be sure to make time to hit some of the other tracks listed on TPM's calendar so you can decide for yourself.

Remember a bad day at the track is still better than gong to work.
Ken
Another thing is he has nothing to compare it to. I rode art basic out at nelson ledges then came and rode pocono east a bunch of times. I thought it was a good track, then I had ridden VIR, Summit and Beaver a bunch of time and didnt have as much fun ( plus the last day my head wasnt in it for some reason)

Tom

Old 04-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #25
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Quote:
Pocono is seriously way better than riding the street.. That was my first impression when I went there for my first track day. My next event happened to be VIR, and I really didnt notice THAT much of a different in it being smoother, mostly because I was still horrendously slow.

By the time I hit Pocono again later in the year, I realized just how bad it really was and swore I would never go there again. At least not until they fixed it up a bit. I will probably give it another try, and I would like to run the "west" course as well if they are still doing it.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #26
Gigantic
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to Gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to Gigantic

It's better, really. Is it great? no, not exactly, but it's a great improvement, nonetheless. you should go before the cars have a chance to really screw it up.
TPM Coach #108
TPM Social Media Marketing Director
Team Pro-Motion TrackdayMag.com Celtic Racing Chicken Hawk Racing Rebel Girl Racing

Old 04-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #27
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

I've always had a special place in my heart for pocono. I always hear tons of complaints from people and I don't agree. The pavement is no where near as bad as everyone says, no where near it. I think there are other tracks, that the same people who complain about pocono rave about, that have a bumpier surface.
East, well honestly I like it alot, and I think it is probably the best track out there to take ART basic and learn on. Large variety of turns, not out of control and intimidatingly fast, and a great view of the entire track when spectating. and still a fun ass layout when you pick up the speed.
FUSA, one of my favorite layouts, lots of fun
North, my least favorite pocono layout, but it's still OK.
The only drawback versus the "nicer" tracks is a lack of elevation changes, but once again that makes it a better place for new guys to learn on (specifically east)
Plus Pocono has Garages!!! how many other places can boast that!
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 04-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #28
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

I love you omar but I have to disagree with ya.. Maybe you know better lines to take, but the last time I was out there it was if the bumps were strategically placed just before every turn as I am trying to settle the bike/suspension. I believe the 96 is the only bike I had on that track, and the suspension does have a bit to be desired...

Shannonville is actually about as bad as pocono, and an 8 hour drive.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #29
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Pocono has some great layouts and I always have a whole lot of fun when I am there despite the bumps which arent that bad anyway. If you can't read a track and learn to deal with bumps, you won't know how to handle them when you are on a smooth track and go offline and start running over those bumps. The best thing is its close and a day at the track.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #30
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

The run off to me is scary as hell but I always had fun there...even when I got knocked out.

OCCR
RIP AJ600M