Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

bar tending school
Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
PSYCHO1000R
SPF 15

Send a message via AIM to PSYCHO1000R Send a message via Yahoo to PSYCHO1000R
Default bar tending school

im looking to get into bartending since i have weekends off again.. i dont know shit about drinks, aside from drinking them, so i fugred a bartending school would help, plus the one im looking into has job placement. Im only looking for a saturday here and there to make some extra cash. any one ever go to bartending school?? was it worth it ?

Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

bar tending school is BS... i mean it helps .. but you can just pick up a book and you are done...

Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
PSYCHO1000R
SPF 15

i was more focusing on there " job placement idea" but it cant hurt

Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

It depends on what you want to get out of it. Bars care way more about experience than a certificate. I had a friend that had the same idea as you and she went through it. She said it was fun but didn't help her at all in getting a job. The basic response was no experience = no job.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
PSYCHO1000R
SPF 15

yeh, i know they preach about a LISCENSE u get a tthe end, but i know it dont mean shit, like i said, im more interested in hte 100% job placement they gaurantee, to get started. then after a get some experience i can go out on my own.. i dont really want a second job, but i figured bartending would be fun and easy cahs, thats why im interested.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz View Post
It depends on what you want to get out of it. Bars care way more about experience than a certificate. I had a friend that had the same idea as you and she went through it. She said it was fun but didn't help her at all in getting a job. The basic response was no experience = no job.
i have freinds that are bartender s in the city.. gusy and girls..
they get hired mostly for their looks in the beggining and as they gain experience they move to spots that are crazy busy their looks and experience helps with that. if you want to just bartend at some irish bar on the low than it might not be that hard since its not hectic and you do not get strange drink request, but mostly get the easy drinks the drunks like.. like beer and simple mixed drinks usualy made up of one or two alcahols

Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o View Post
i have freinds that are bartender s in the city.. gusy and girls..
they get hired mostly for their looks in the beggining and as they gain experience they move to spots that are crazy busy their looks and experience helps with that. if you want to just bartend at some irish bar on the low than it might not be that hard since its not hectic and you do not get strange drink request, but mostly get the easy drinks the drunks like.. like beer and simple mixed drinks usualy made up of one or two alcahols
She's pretty good looking and is how she got her foot in the door. But when she called places they just told her they're only looking to hire experienced bar tenders.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 04-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Send a message via AIM to Rev

The job placement is b.s. it's just a gimmick to real people in 90% does 'job placement'. I got mine like 4 years back and never did anythying with it...guess just wasn't interested as i thought i would be 600 down the drain. anyway. your better off getting your own gig....But I would do it for experience, you do actually learn

Old 04-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
shadoxkila
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to shadoxkila

bartending school is a giant waste of time and money, i could teach you what they teach you in an hour....most places wont hire people just out of bartending school cuz they usually don't know shit. My restaurant tried that and they were the three biggest retards i've ever met.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
Jay
Squid

Like everyone said bartending school is helpful but not at all necessary. Job placement might be 100% but where? Some private restaurant or pub? where you'll make $50 in tips a night?

In your case its probably a good idea though since like you said you don't know much about mixing drinks. At least you'll have a general idea on how to mix.

Finding a consistant well paying spot as a bartender is tough man. Being a bouncer i talked with alot of bartenders and heard horror stories. Getting into a place on a night thats good, where you are getting tipped well, and there is always a crowd....well, requires more of WHO you know rather then WHAT you know.

Working the door as a bouncer or doing VIP entry i have made more in one night sometimes then the highest tipped bartender.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Working the door as a bouncer or doing VIP entry i have made more in one night sometimes then the highest tipped bartender.

yes cause people think they are cool when they pay off a bouncer..

Old 04-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
Jay
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o View Post
yes cause people think they are cool when they pay off a bouncer..
Well you have 2 options

1) Wait in line

2) Pay a bouncer

When the estimated wait to get in is 1-2 hours what would you do?

As a VIP bouncer i have been paid $100 just to get someone a bottle of water. Whether they are cool or not is NOT my problem lol. their money is just as green as the next persons haha

Old 04-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #13
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Quote:
Well you have 2 options

1) Wait in line

2) Pay a bouncer

When the estimated wait to get in is 1-2 hours what would you do?

As a VIP bouncer i have been paid $100 just to get someone a bottle of water. Whether they are cool or not is NOT my problem lol. their money is just as green as the next persons haha

3 go to the next place.. their vodka is also 40 proof...

lol

you are right tho money is money

Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
shadoxkila
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to shadoxkila

Quote:
. Getting into a place on a night thats good, where you are getting tipped well, and there is always a crowd....well, requires more of WHO you know rather then WHAT you know.

I have definitely paid a bouncer obscene money to cut the line, and well worth it every time, especially when its friggin cold out....

Also gettin a bartending job is 100% who you know and it helps if you have tits, I can guarantee that i'm a ten times better bartender then 90% of the chics out but they will always get the job over me because bars want chics over guys any day which i find ridiculous cuz i personally would rather have a good guy bartender then some air head who is slow and doesn't know shit + i would rather bull shit with a guy most of the time, i'll hit on the girls at the place not the ones workin there thankyou

Old 04-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoxkila View Post
I have definitely paid a bouncer obscene money to cut the line, and well worth it every time, especially when its friggin cold out....

Also gettin a bartending job is 100% who you know and it helps if you have tits, I can guarantee that i'm a ten times better bartender then 90% of the chics out but they will always get the job over me because bars want chics over guys any day which i find ridiculous cuz i personally would rather have a good guy bartender then some air head who is slow and doesn't know shit + i would rather bull shit with a guy most of the time, i'll hit on the girls at the place not the ones workin there thankyou
iliek to rip dollars in half and tip the hot bartender chicks... also works well for strippers.