Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #46
MoraleHazard
Learner's Permit

Had my first crash yesterday. I'm coming down a fairly steep hill when the light turns yellow then red in the "bad" zone where you can't just easily come to a stop and you can gun through it. I put on a lot of front brake and I felt like the bike wasn't stopping fast enough ('91 EX500 with a single front disc) and I'm going to go into the intersection. I put on some rear and the downhill probably cause the rear tire to lock. She started fishtailing and I stupidly eased off the back brake (I'm a noob) t about 10 mph and she dropped at about 5 mph.

What should have been some minor cosmetic damage turned into a tow job after the rear brake lever punched through the engine casing cover and caused the oil to leak out all over the place. My ankle was twisted under the bike, but I was wearing oxtars so it is only sore, not sprained or broken.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #47
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoraleHazard
Had my first crash yesterday. I'm coming down a fairly steep hill when the light turns yellow then red in the "bad" zone where you can't just easily come to a stop and you can gun through it. I put on a lot of front brake and I felt like the bike wasn't stopping fast enough ('91 EX500 with a single front disc) and I'm going to go into the intersection. I put on some rear and the downhill probably cause the rear tire to lock. She started fishtailing and I stupidly eased off the back brake (I'm a noob) t about 10 mph and she dropped at about 5 mph.

What should have been some minor cosmetic damage turned into a tow job after the rear brake lever punched through the engine casing cover and caused the oil to leak out all over the place. My ankle was twisted under the bike, but I was wearing oxtars so it is only sore, not sprained or broken.

Happy to here you did get f@cked up to bad and sounds like the ride can be fixed. Still sucks though, and hope you have reached your quota already. Be safe and jump back on that horse and ride

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 05-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #48
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

ass cowboys..

Old 05-31-2006, 05:06 PM   #49
Mach1
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Is this your bike?

This is my Bike, There are many like it, But this one is mine, My Bike is my Best Friend, It is my Life, I must master it as I must Master My Life, With out Me my Bike is Useless, With out my Bike I am Useless, I must Ride Better than the Idiots on the Road who are trying to Kill Me!, I must Pass Him before He Kills Me!, I WILL, Before God I Swear this Creed! SO BE IT!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #50
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o
ass cowboys..

I think you are posting on the wrong forum. This is about not

LOL

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 PM   #51
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon
I think you are posting on the wrong forum. This is about not

LOL
yeah yeah what ever you ass cowboys you

Old 05-31-2006, 07:20 PM   #52
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:

Welcome to the site. You'll be surprised how much front brake you can grab to help stop in what one would think as a "panic situation." Just needs to be done correctly. I've seen people grab a fist full of brakes in one big whap, this can cause you to lose the front in a hurry. What you want to do is grab some brake to bring the weight forward and load the shocks, then grab a nice fist full, the front will compress even further and you'll be able to stop. Typing this out it seems like alot and that it would take up alot of time too, but its real quick. Some stainless steel lines would help alot as well. Hope this helps, g'luck.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:58 PM   #53
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
You'll be surprised how much front brake you can grab to help stop in what one would think as a "panic situation."
If that is who I think it is, a SS line & HH pads were recommended earlier, not sure if they were installed though...that bike's small under him.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 06-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #54
MoraleHazard
Learner's Permit

"If that is who I think it is,..." Yes, it is. --- I just wanted to ride up here in CT. I'll have to see how much it will cost to repair the EX and then make the decision whether or not to get new fork springs & oil, upgrade the front disc, etc., etc., or start looking at another bike. We'll see.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #55
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
"If that is who I think it is,..." Yes, it is. --- I just wanted to ride up here in CT. I'll have to see how much it will cost to repair the EX and then make the decision whether or not to get new fork springs & oil, upgrade the front disc, etc., etc., or start looking at another bike. We'll see.
sv650

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #56
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Shit John, sorry that happened to ya, at least the bike didn't poke any holes that caused your body to leak. The cost for the case repair and new lower controls (brake lever) shouldn't be that much and you can do the work yourself, try not to bring it to a dealer cuz of course you'll get screwed on the cost.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 06-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #57
MoraleHazard
Learner's Permit

Shit John, sorry that happened to ya, at least the bike didn't poke any holes that caused your body to leak. The cost for the case repair and new lower controls (brake lever) shouldn't be that much and you can do the work yourself, try not to bring it to a dealer cuz of course you'll get screwed on the cost.

Well, I sent it to the stealership because I'm so brand new to the area and don't have much in the way of tools and time. I guess I could've had it towed to my apt., but didn't even know a tow company. It was my first day in the area w/ the bike and just wanted to ride. I'm glad I wasn't run over while I was down on the pavement. Stamford yuppies suck.

Last edited by MoraleHazard; 06-01-2006 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #58
Tonupboy
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Tonupboy Send a message via Yahoo to Tonupboy

4 years ago, a year after I got my second bike (Katana 750): I was riding down Rt. 17 North, realized running out of gas, decided to stop at Exxon (near Ramsey exit), but was going too fast, instead of continuing on to the next station, I decided to turn fast, hit the brakes on the turn, started tankslapping, and hit the curb. Flew two feet while holding on to the handlebars and saw my tank in mid air...not to mention my life...lol....hit the gas tank as I landed, then the grass and got up....bruised my chest and managed to ride the bike with a bent rim...lmao that bike was a tank....thank godness for leather gear...I still wear that jacket for goodluck.

"That which does not become a part of the one, shall become one with the void."
http://www.myspace.com/b0nghit
Allegiance: None
Function: Universal Dominator

Old 06-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #59
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonupboy
4 years ago, a year after I got my second bike (Katana 750): I was riding down Rt. 17 North, realized running out of gas, decided to stop at Exxon (near Ramsey exit), but was going too fast, instead of continuing on to the next station, I decided to turn fast, hit the brakes on the turn, started tankslapping, and hit the curb. Flew two feet while holding on to the handlebars and saw my tank in mid air...not to mention my life...lol....hit the gas tank as I landed, then the grass and got up....bruised my chest and managed to ride the bike with a bent rim...lmao that bike was a tank....thank godness for leather gear...I still wear that jacket for goodluck.
If that's the same jacket.. It looks like the good luck is still in it!

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 06-06-2006, 01:34 AM   #60
Tonupboy
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Tonupboy Send a message via Yahoo to Tonupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRBlue
If that's the same jacket.. It looks like the good luck is still in it!

Jim, lol...I was just about to say that! Same one, brotha! This old skool JR is doing the job just fine!

"That which does not become a part of the one, shall become one with the void."
http://www.myspace.com/b0nghit
Allegiance: None
Function: Universal Dominator