Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #16
~Donna~
Wanna play doctor?

Ken,

What has been suggested by those before me has been tried and true. However to effectively lose weight and maintain muscle tone exercise is just as important as diet. To effectively lose 1lb of true fat (most pounds we shed aren't so) you must eliminate 500 calories from you daily intake as well as add 500 calories burned from exercise each day. A single pound of fat is equivilent to 3500 calories. For future reference give yourself a goal and calculate your dietary needs based upon this information. Make sure if you begin an intense exercise program that you have been seen by your family doctor to avoid an unforseen problems.

Never make someone the center of your life for you will only be on the perimeter of theirs

Old 06-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #17
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac
2 points

Second/third be careful if messing with diuretics, you can easily deplete your soidum or potasium stores which can lead you to paying me a visit to get your electrolytes back on track.

Joe you said eliminate alcohol but alcohol is a diuretic too. i try to research that every weekend

Tom
You mean injectable Lasix is bad? Thats why I said mineral sparing.

Alcohol slows down protien synthesis.

I turned myself into a chem lab for a few years, was fun while it lasted

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #18
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
You mean injectable Lasix is bad? Thats why I said mineral sparing.

Alcohol slows down protien synthesis.

I turned myself into a chem lab for a few years, was fun while it lasted
lasix can be bad, we use it for people with high blood pressure and chf to reduce their plasma volume but it can rapidly deplete potasium. Spironolactone or other loop diuretics could be better but seem to have other side effects.

I also forgot about the protein synthesis with alcohol, I think cafiene has a similar effect too.

Tom

Old 06-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #19
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac
lasix can be bad, we use it for people with high blood pressure and chf to reduce their plasma volume but it can rapidly deplete potasium. Spironolactone or other loop diuretics could be better but seem to have other side effects.

I also forgot about the protein synthesis with alcohol, I think cafiene has a similar effect too.

Tom
Yea, the big thig we kept handy was liquid Lasix for last min water depletion if needed(never had to use it though). Gotta keep the Pedialite(sp?) hany with that stuff though. Used the 40mg tabs though, along with a bunch of cal. mag. and potassium. Diozides(sp?) were another that was less harsh. Then aldectazides(sp?) which I think are potasium sparing. Ok were startin to get of track here, sorry Ken

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #20
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Yea, the big thig we kept handy was liquid Lasix for last min water depletion if needed(never had to use it though). Gotta keep the Pedialite(sp?) hany with that stuff though. Used the 40mg tabs though, along with a bunch of cal. mag. and potassium. Diozides(sp?) were another that was less harsh. Then aldectazides(sp?) which I think are potasium sparing. Ok were startin to get of track here, sorry Ken
i thought I was going to have to dust off my pharmacology books there for a minute

The thing I would be worried about with a crash diet like that then racing is you coul deasily get dehydrated quickly and become disoriented which is not a good thing when on a bike.

Tom

Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #21
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

when i took the marines test back in freshman year they gave me a list called the "cabbage diet" it will flush your system and make you lose weight very fast. downside is that its all soup so if you cant handle it, you might want to use the sauna ALOT

Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #22
Commuta_Busa
Slow Ass Busa

Send a message via AIM to Commuta_Busa

the cabbage diet!! yea that's the one I did way back when.... (wish I still had the directions)...

so for me to drop 20lbs I need to toss 70K calories! shesh!

The reason I mention stroking is because I have a fast pulse and high pressure. Plus I get as much exercise as a consultant gets... (walk from desk to coffee machine and back) and (walk to/from bathroom). then I go home eventualy.

I played basketball (half court not full) with some of my friends recently and after about 1.5 minutes I had to stop. My heart was ready to explode, I was dizzy, winded, ready to colapse. lol That's why I say anything above a fast commuter walk is to much for me right now.
thanks: Aeromotive/ACL/AIM sport/Tsukigi/AP racing/APE/BDE/Big CC racing/BMC/BoostbySmith/Brembo/Calico/Carbon Lorraine/Carpenter racing/Catalyst composites/Clear alternatives/Cometic/Cosworth/CP/Cycle-tek/Dynojet/Earl's plumbing/EK/FBG/Harris/Hel/Honda/Hyperpro/Innovate/Kickstand racing/Lee Shierts racing/Lindemann Engineering/Machine pro/Magnaflow/Mikuni/NLR/NOS/Pro-bolt/Penske/Puig/R&D/RCC turbos/RCS/RPM racing/SBS/Schnitz racing/Sharkskinz/Spencer cycles/Spiegler/Sprocket specialties/Stedman/The Motorhead/Thermo-Tec/Tiger racing/TTS/Walbro/Yamaha/Yoshimura R&D/World wide bearings/Zukinot

Old 06-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #23
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuta_Busa
the cabbage diet!! yea that's the one I did way back when.... (wish I still had the directions)...

so for me to drop 20lbs I need to toss 70K calories! shesh!

The reason I mention stroking is because I have a fast pulse and high pressure. Plus I get as much exercise as a consultant gets... (walk from desk to coffee machine and back) and (walk to/from bathroom). then I go home eventualy.

I played basketball (half court not full) with some of my friends recently and after about 1.5 minutes I had to stop. My heart was ready to explode, I was dizzy, winded, ready to colapse. lol That's why I say anything above a fast commuter walk is to much for me right now.
That's not good buddy, you need to exercise a little more. The key is to do it gradually so you don't get like that.
Quote:
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #24
Commuta_Busa
Slow Ass Busa

yea, I know but I'm not gonna get a whole lot of exercise within the next three weeks though. That's why I'm looking for more diet advice than anything. Long term, yes I gotta get out more but that's more of a slow and gradual thing...
thanks: Aeromotive/ACL/AIM sport/Tsukigi/AP racing/APE/BDE/Big CC racing/BMC/BoostbySmith/Brembo/Calico/Carbon Lorraine/Carpenter racing/Catalyst composites/Clear alternatives/Cometic/Cosworth/CP/Cycle-tek/Dynojet/Earl's plumbing/EK/FBG/Harris/Hel/Honda/Hyperpro/Innovate/Kickstand racing/Lee Shierts racing/Lindemann Engineering/Machine pro/Magnaflow/Mikuni/NLR/NOS/Pro-bolt/Penske/Puig/R&D/RCC turbos/RCS/RPM racing/SBS/Schnitz racing/Sharkskinz/Spencer cycles/Spiegler/Sprocket specialties/Stedman/The Motorhead/Thermo-Tec/Tiger racing/TTS/Walbro/Yamaha/Yoshimura R&D/World wide bearings/Zukinot

Old 06-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #25
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

i was on the same boat so i quickly started up my workout again. i really let myself go when i was in school and it sucks to have to study and not be able to work out. summer vacation is being great to me since now i can work out again. i suggest you take some bayer asprin when you are working it. it will thin you blood and carry oxygen better. i wouldnt recommend overdoing it though, i cut the pill in half and only use it when i do cardio. it helped alot with the dizziness and numbness. take your time, dont just hop on the cardio machines and think youre in the same shape as you were in high school. took me about 2 weeks to get into a rythem. 3 day rule is the norm. once you workout 3 days consistancy you will be fine

Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 PM   #26
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

Hey ken im far from the diet type, but i have proof that atleast 10 people i know lost weight because of this diet. Its called the fat smash diet. It was put together by dr. ian smith from the show "celebrity fit club"

This diet is not a joke and it really works. Check it out and let me know what you think. www.fatsmashdiet.com

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 06-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #27
Commuta_Busa
Slow Ass Busa

anyone have the bootleg version... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by njf4i
This diet is not a joke and it really works. Check it out and let me know what you think. www.fatsmashdiet.com

Old 06-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #28
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Just don't eat a lot...or stop eating for a bit. That's always worked for me too. Might get a little grouchy though.
Quote:
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 06-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #29
Commuta_Busa
Slow Ass Busa

yea, this is what I'm really trying to do. Smaller lunch, smaller diner. I even tried that nasty boiled chicken thing last night. That sucked! lol tasted like nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
Just don't eat a lot...or stop eating for a bit. That's always worked for me too. Might get a little grouchy though.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #30
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

I did the Atkins diet a couple years ago, dropped 5 pounds a week for 5 weeks straight. I dropped all sugar, carbs {pasta, rice, vegetables, breads, cereals, booze except for rum w/diet pepsi} exercised a lot and took supplements. DRINK LOTS OF WATER.
Basic breakfast was an egg omelete, cheese bacon coffee with splenda.
Lunch, grilled chicken salads
Dinner grilled chicken, pork chops, fish or steak and more salads.

Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain