Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Jeez, where do you people get these coaches from? Slapping shields, moneybags etc.... I would remove coaches from my site that did that crap.

A few words on people who 'choke'. If they can't emotionally handle someone standing with a clipboard and a pencil, how are they going to handle a stoplight with a semi stopped behind them.

Oh yea, if you cant pass a test on a motorcycle and rent a scooter to get a license, you don't belong on the road. Thankfully MVS will be removing that provision from the road test shortly in NJ.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 04-29-2006, 12:13 AM   #17
Qetesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoUtHpAw
i can get you a number tomorrow for a lady who will come out to her and help her with everything she needs to know. real friendly lady, she lives in Roselle Park about 15 minutes from me, i had her card but lost it during moving, but i'll go to her house and get her number again. besides its always nice to see friends that you havent seen in a few weeks, im also sure she passed by my old house that i no longer live in

It might be a little far for her to travel. Ken is located in Newburgh, NY

Old 04-29-2006, 04:55 AM   #18
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
Jeez, where do you people get these coaches from? Slapping shields, moneybags etc.... I would remove coaches from my site that did that crap.

A few words on people who 'choke'. If they can't emotionally handle someone standing with a clipboard and a pencil, how are they going to handle a stoplight with a semi stopped behind them.

Oh yea, if you cant pass a test on a motorcycle and rent a scooter to get a license, you don't belong on the road. Thankfully MVS will be removing that provision from the road test shortly in NJ.
When I was with my ex at the time she attended her MSF in '01 Scott kept calling her "speedy" cuz while he was waving his arms frantically to motion almost everyone else to speed up he was doing the exact oposite for her to slow down, she and I got a laugh out of it. In the end she passed with flying colors, only one guy failed and he was so shakey on the bike I'm sure it was a wise decision for him not to be allowed an endorsement. You were her coach along with Scott, she was very pleased with the way the two of you handled everything and it made for a fun experience even as nervous as she was while taking the final road test, she used my black HJC lid with the clear shield and there wasn't a problem.

Regarding a scooter I believe that the basic functions of front braking, throttle, and more importantly turning are the same, but the rider also needs to learn how to shift and operate a clutch while performing all of the exercises. Is that the reason why a scooter would not be a good idea for the road test?

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 04-29-2006, 06:00 AM   #19
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Besides the brakes being in a different place and no shifting, scooters don't have the stability that motorcycles do due to their small wheel size. I am of course talking about the scooters of the size you would rent to take the test. Not Burgman sized scooters, legal for on highway use and good for 80mph.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:39 AM   #20
GinoE
Brain Close Behind

Send a message via AIM to GinoE

being from ny, i took the road test on an actual motorcycle. i thought it weird that nj allows the scooter.

while she was taking the test on my gs500f i was on the sidelines chatting with a woman who runs an auto driving school. she mentioned the scooter idea to me.

she would see the cruiser riders taking the test on their huge land yachts, fail trying to negotiate the tiny m/c course. she would see the same guy the following week taking the test on a scooter. she said the scooter guy arrives early in the mornings with a truck full of rentals.

(forgive me, a bit off topic since you're up in ny)

TRACK DISTANCES

Last edited by GinoE; 04-29-2006 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #21
Hassmaschine
Mr. Megadeth

I know when I took the MSF years ago we had some of the best coaches, they constantly were doing positive reinforcement, even to a girl in the class that couldn't even handle simple turns, they were cautious, but always supportive... it's hit or miss...

RIP Jon 08.15.78 - 09.02.03, RIP AJ.

-Ein Verstand, eine Energie. Sie mögen Motorräder und sprechen über sie!
-If it bleeds for more than 3 days and doesn't die, BAN IT!

Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #22
Rock712
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to Rock712 Send a message via Yahoo to Rock712

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginoe
my gf failed the road test portion too. she can ride, been riding dirt with her older brothers when she was little.

she felt that the instructor was picking on her though. he kept calling her 'little miss moneybags'.

she drove to class in her volvo s40 turbo. she had her rolex on, wearing a suomy extreme hawaiian helmet with the yellow tinted shield. she told me of the grubby helmets they loan out to the students. so i figure since she'd be riding on her own soon, why not get her a helmet.

it was a warm drizzly evening and her face shield was fogging up. she cracked it open a little to circulate the air to see. the instructor slapped the shield down scolding her that if 'racer girl' opens it again he would fail her right then and there. she did great at practice but when it was time for the actual road test, she choked. it wasn't a total waste of money, she did come away with the safety concepts and braking techniques.

i had a gs500f at that time, so we practiced at the nj dmv testing lot (shhh). she was able to perform the maneuvers but again, at the time of the test she choked.

funny how nj does it, i learned later that we could have rented a scooter to do the road test with. she would have passed and received her license - we're going to try that next...

I don't know how recent this happened, but I'd definately file a complaint. That's bull, the people pay to learn not get ragged on. HELL , when I teach for the US Navy I'm not allowed to do that...........

"How can you kill women and children?"
"Easy ya don't lead them as much!"
"navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse"
You think chicks dig guys who look like road-grimed astronauts and have interesting x-rays? You're smoking rope.

Participated in:OEF,OIF, OIF2, very sad I won't return
THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET THE MORE I LIKE MY DOG
UTMC : We are the good guys
ALL YOUR SIDEWALK ARE BELONG TO US
NSD

Old 05-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #23
MrQuickR1
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to MrQuickR1

Oh man, I hate to say this but if she failed, chances are good that when she finally does, you are gonna regret it. My ex took the course, passed but was super slow and the instructor even told her to speed it up....yup, that's how slow! And to this day, she is just as slow. I'm sorry but being over safe is dangerous. When I used to take her out, it would fuck me all up watching her nearly hitting guard rails in front of me. I would look back on highways and she would have a line of cars behind her. It was more frustrating than it was enjoyment. She loves it, I keep telling her in a positive way that riding just isn't for her and she is going to get hurt or killed one day, but she is so THICK headed and loves riding, and will continue to do so.
I just hope I never have to hear the phone ring one day.

Anyway, her old 2001 250 is for sale, ~3300 miles or so. I believe she wants 2k for it. If you or your wife is interested, let me know....she is now on a 500 this year.....and is still just as slow LOL!

Good luck

Old 05-15-2006, 09:12 AM   #24
Gear Dog
Tank Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Gear Dog

Well she took a 1 hour lesson and opted not to take the road test afterwards. She has another 2 weeks to take it, but it dosn't look like she is going to do it. I think she would just rather be a passanger. My only complaint is that she should have at least tried the road test again. We paid for it and she isn't going to get the ins discount because she didn't " complete the course".

Old 05-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #25
gottaducati
Gear Nazi

i dont know what you guys are talking about - insurance discounts for taking the course?? i didnt get shit. as a matter of fact, my car insurance carrier wouldnt even insure me and they're family...
then again, im one point away from losing my license..

king

Old 05-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #26
Barbi
Unscheduled Blond Moments

I took mine thru a Harley dealer kinda thingy on their buell blast. Take the course and you're almost guaranteed an endorcement. I got mine during Hurricane Jeanne ... wait, that'd be =)

R.I.P. R14cd 6/4/06

Old 05-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #27
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrc51girl
I took mine thru a Harley dealer kinda thingy on their buell blast. Take the course and you're almost guaranteed an endorcement. I got mine during Hurricane Jeanne ... wait, that'd be =)
Yes, it's called the RidersEdge. Basically you are BUYING a license. The first part of the class is them taking you for a walk through the dealership that its taught at... Then they run it in a lot that usually had a BUILDING right next to it and parking lot curbs around the rest, not the best thing just in case. Lastly, HD is doing this so they can SELL YOU A BIKE once they are done so of course they feel you paid for it, you should pass. Then again the RidersEdge class has been the only one that has resulted in several DEATHS while class was conducted.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #28
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
the RidersEdge class has been the only one that has resulted in several DEATHS while class was conducted.
WHAT?! Holy shit, that floored me.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 05-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #29
Rock712
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to Rock712 Send a message via Yahoo to Rock712

I took rider's edge in Camden...it was a shit show.........At the time they weren't certified to do the road test but i think they are now

"How can you kill women and children?"
"Easy ya don't lead them as much!"
"navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse"
You think chicks dig guys who look like road-grimed astronauts and have interesting x-rays? You're smoking rope.

Participated in:OEF,OIF, OIF2, very sad I won't return
THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET THE MORE I LIKE MY DOG
UTMC : We are the good guys
ALL YOUR SIDEWALK ARE BELONG TO US
NSD

Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #30
CBRBob
A 37 Production

I think the Camden class is gone
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion