Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Wife failed the MFS
Old 04-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Gear Dog
Tank Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Gear Dog
Default Wife failed the MFS

She has 30 days to retake it but she needs training.
with our schedules I rarely see her let alone have time to teach her. Besides that she isn't comfortable on my bike. So I was wondering if anyone has recomendations for schools in my area. She basically needs help turning, she was complaining about the whole leaning thing. I was trying to talk her through it but it is totally different when she is on the bike.I've been thinking about getting her a 250 just to train on so that she could pass.

Anybody got any ideas???

Old 04-28-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

250, I agree! Sorry to hear she failed....a friend of mine failed yesterday too!

Old 04-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Does she have any riding experience at all or is this her first time on any type of motorcycle?

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 04-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Gear Dog
Tank Slapper

She has been a passanger the first time riding on her own

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
Does she have any riding experience at all or is this her first time on any type of motorcycle?

Old 04-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Gear Dog
Tank Slapper

yeah she was telling me about a couple that was taking the class last night.
Both are under 5'5" and his friends told him he would get tired of a 600cc bike. She told me that he bought a sportbike, but couldn't remember the name. But she was sure it was a Suzuki and it was a 1300. I was there when he was doing the quick stop test. He was going sooo slow that his rear wheel wasn't even close to the mark where he is supposed to hit the brakes. The instructor told him that he needed to be going around 15mph. He said how fast was I going and the instructor told him about 5mph. I watched him for a while and when I got home I told my wife he better trade the Busa in for a moped.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Hassmaschine
Mr. Megadeth

Get her out and practice on something small until she is 110% comfortable... some people can get it some can't no worries... if she's comfortable with the practice have her retake it... MAKE time if she wants to ride she'll make you make time.

RIP Jon 08.15.78 - 09.02.03, RIP AJ.

-Ein Verstand, eine Energie. Sie mögen Motorräder und sprechen über sie!
-If it bleeds for more than 3 days and doesn't die, BAN IT!

Old 04-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassmaschine
Get her out and practice on something small until she is 110% comfortable... some people can get it some can't no worries... if she's comfortable with the practice have her retake it... MAKE time if she wants to ride she'll make you make time.
I wouldn't even say comfortable, I'd say make it your bitch first. I think people should learn on 100cc dirt bikes and until they can beat the shit out of them, they're not allowed on the street.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 04-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Get her a harley, then she really won't have to lean

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 04-28-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Gear Dog
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
I wouldn't even say comfortable, I'd say make it your bitch first. I think people should learn on 100cc dirt bikes and until they can beat the shit out of them, they're not allowed on the street.
Hmm get a dirt bike now that's an idea this way she learns how to ride and I get another toy.
I called the MSF office where she took the course and asked if they recommended a place for her to take lessons. The lady on the phone almost flipped out on me because the instructor didn't recommend a private lesson with them. Aprantly this dude keeps forgetting to mention that to the students. So she is going to try and schedule something next week. The good thing is if she does ok with the lesson the instructor will give her the road test then.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Maybe you should just let her take a MSF class.
You don't want to teach her....that is, unless you want to get divorced.

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=NY
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 04-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
Gear Dog
Tank Slapper

I did let her take the class she failed the road test portion of it.
That's why I want to get her lessons.
[QUOTE=CBRBob]Maybe you should just let her take a MSF class.
You don't want to teach her....that is, unless you want to get divorced.QUOTE]

Old 04-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
Shelly
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to Shelly

I took the MSF class and think it was generally worth it, espec. since I passed and got my license but....I haven't been out on road as of yet due to my own 250 bein' in the shop but just got it back a few days ago...hope to be out on road soon. The class helped for JUST BASICS...I'm 5'0" and used their 125 (most peeps in class were on this too though). Smaller bike helped acclimate me to riding, controls, balance,etc. Because the class only taught basics and not "road" ready stuff for playing in traffic I'm taking lessons from someone I know who teaches all levels. She lives in my area...Trenton/Bordentown off Rt.206. Anyways, she's really good. She reinforces basics skillset but also will take me out on roads, etc. to deal w/ road conditions, weather conditions, all other variables. She also teaches people who have 0 prior experience/knowledge in order to take test at DMV. MSF will give some good foundation but regardless someone will have to spend time w/ her ridin out on the roads for the "real" experiences that will be encountered. MSF class doesn't give confidence level for that....

"Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth."-- Ken Blanchard

Old 04-28-2006, 10:05 PM   #13
GinoE
Brain Close Behind

Send a message via AIM to GinoE

my gf failed the road test portion too. she can ride, been riding dirt with her older brothers when she was little.

she felt that the instructor was picking on her though. he kept calling her 'little miss moneybags'.

she drove to class in her volvo s40 turbo. she had her rolex on, wearing a suomy extreme hawaiian helmet with the yellow tinted shield. she told me of the grubby helmets they loan out to the students. so i figure since she'd be riding on her own soon, why not get her a helmet.

it was a warm drizzly evening and her face shield was fogging up. she cracked it open a little to circulate the air to see. the instructor slapped the shield down scolding her that if 'racer girl' opens it again he would fail her right then and there. she did great at practice but when it was time for the actual road test, she choked. it wasn't a total waste of money, she did come away with the safety concepts and braking techniques.

i had a gs500f at that time, so we practiced at the nj dmv testing lot (shhh). she was able to perform the maneuvers but again, at the time of the test she choked.

funny how nj does it, i learned later that we could have rented a scooter to do the road test with. she would have passed and received her license - we're going to try that next...

TRACK DISTANCES

Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #14
Rock712
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to Rock712 Send a message via Yahoo to Rock712

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginoe
my gf failed the road test portion too. she can ride, been riding dirt with her older brothers when she was little.

she felt that the instructor was picking on her though. he kept calling her 'little miss moneybags'.

she drove to class in her volvo s40 turbo. she had her rolex on, wearing a suomy extreme hawaiian helmet with the yellow tinted shield. she told me of the grubby helmets they loan out to the students. so i figure since she'd be riding on her own soon, why not get her a helmet.

it was a warm drizzly evening and her face shield was fogging up. she cracked it open a little to circulate the air to see. the instructor slapped the shield down scolding her that if 'racer girl' opens it again he would fail her right then and there. she did great at practice but when it was time for the actual road test, she choked. it wasn't a total waste of money, she did come away with the safety concepts and braking techniques.

i had a gs500f at that time, so we practiced at the nj dmv testing lot (shhh). she was able to perform the maneuvers but again, at the time of the test she choked.

funny how nj does it, i learned later that we could have rented a scooter to do the road test with. she would have passed and received her license - we're going to try that next...

I don't know how recent this happened, but I'd definately file a complaint. That's bull, the people pay to learn not get ragged on. HELL , when I teach for the US Navy I'm not allowed to do that...........

"How can you kill women and children?"
"Easy ya don't lead them as much!"
"navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse"
You think chicks dig guys who look like road-grimed astronauts and have interesting x-rays? You're smoking rope.

Participated in:OEF,OIF, OIF2, very sad I won't return
THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET THE MORE I LIKE MY DOG
UTMC : We are the good guys
ALL YOUR SIDEWALK ARE BELONG TO US
NSD

Old 04-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #15
Qetesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Dog
She has 30 days to retake it but she needs training.
with our schedules I rarely see her let alone have time to teach her. Besides that she isn't comfortable on my bike. So I was wondering if anyone has recomendations for schools in my area. She basically needs help turning, she was complaining about the whole leaning thing. I was trying to talk her through it but it is totally different when she is on the bike.I've been thinking about getting her a 250 just to train on so that she could pass.

Anybody got any ideas???
Hey Ken, sorry to hear about your wife not passing the road test. Where did she take her MSF course? Stewart?

When I took my lessons (years ago) I went through the American Motorcycle School. It's owned by a mother and two daughters. I took my lessons on a Rebel 250 in the parking lot of the abandoned Fishkill mall on Rt. 9.

Here's their information:

American Motorcycle Driving School
10 Wagon Trail Rd.
Stormville NY

845-221-6352

Also, if your wife would like to sit on my bike, since it's lowered, to get the feel of a 600, let me know and we can arrange a time and place to meet up

Let me know how you make out!