Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Kerosene Heaters
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Shelly
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to Shelly
Default Kerosene Heaters

Anyone have any input as to how efficient kerosene heaters are vs. using electric space heaters+gas? Also, where would you get kerosene? Homo Depot maybe? I used the latter 2 options for heating last winter and my PSE&G bill was insane so I'm trying to figure out other options for this year. I'd appreciate any info. on it or if there might be a better route to go that I haven't thought of. Thanks.

~Shel

"Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth."-- Ken Blanchard

Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

you can buy kerosene at gas stations, but not all of them. not sure on pricing tho. another option a buddy of mine said was to use biodiesal to heat the house.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 09-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
RCM78
Tech Nazi

The price of fuel has skyrocketed accross the board.

Why were you using electric and gas last year?
TPM Coach #71

Old 09-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Shelly
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to Shelly

So kerosene wouldn't save me $$? My house is ~100 yrs. old, revamped on the inside but I don't think there's insulation accept for my finished attic. My walls are plaster w/ old lattice infrast.,etc. Bought the elec. space heaters hoping it would keep my gas $$ down as an offset but that didn't seem to happen. Just lookin' for cheap solution to get me through another winter and the plan is to possibly do blow in insulation sometime next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78
The price of fuel has skyrocketed accross the board.

Why were you using electric and gas last year?

"Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth."-- Ken Blanchard

Old 09-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
CuCullin
MCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly_Belly_Whore
you can buy kerosene at gas stations, but not all of them. not sure on pricing tho. another option a buddy of mine said was to use biodiesal to heat the house.
Biodiesel is a great option.

Also, right now there is a huge tax credit to motivate alternative energy sources; instead of eliminating your electric heat, consider purchasing and installing solar panels. In NJ, like other states, there is no sales tax. Also, I believe in 2006 there is a dollar for dollar tax credit (not a reduction to establish your AGI, and actual dollar credit off your federal taxes).

If you don't want to move further into that, and want to keep more what you have today, consider first a more efficient gas heater. Also, is it forced air? A better compressor can increase efficiency.

If you have allergies, and are considering a significant change to your heating, consider radiant heat instead of a forced air system.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin
Biodiesel is a great option.

Also, right now there is a huge tax credit to motivate alternative energy sources; instead of eliminating your electric heat, consider purchasing and installing solar panels. In NJ, like other states, there is no sales tax. Also, I believe in 2006 there is a dollar for dollar tax credit (not a reduction to establish your AGI, and actual dollar credit off your federal taxes).

If you don't want to move further into that, and want to keep more what you have today, consider first a more efficient gas heater. Also, is it forced air? A better compressor can increase efficiency.

If you have allergies, and are considering a significant change to your heating, consider radiant heat instead of a forced air system.
A freind of mine looked into the solar panels and after the #'s were crunched the panels would need to be replaced just as they paid for themselves. His outlay would've been $50k after rebates. Yes, it's a big house. Solar energy is definitely an option thats out there but not for a 100 year old house.

Also, Compressors are not used for forced warm air sysems. They are either gas or oil fired. Some are kerosene fired but thats rare. Heat pumps use compressors but they are very rarely found in residential homes in NJ.
TPM Coach #71

Old 09-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirl
So kerosene wouldn't save me $$? My house is ~100 yrs. old, revamped on the inside but I don't think there's insulation accept for my finished attic. My walls are plaster w/ old lattice infrast.,etc. Bought the elec. space heaters hoping it would keep my gas $$ down as an offset but that didn't seem to happen. Just lookin' for cheap solution to get me through another winter and the plan is to possibly do blow in insulation sometime next year.
Right now all fuels are about the same price so it all equals out in the end.

What temperture do you keep the house at?

How old are the windows?

Are you home most of the day or is the house empty for at least 8 hours a day?

What type of heating system do you have(eg. Steam, Hot Water, Forced warm air) and how old is it?

Blown in insulation works well for a couple years but after it settles it does very little.
TPM Coach #71

Old 09-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Marker54
State Farm Pimp

Kerosene is great, the folks use it all winter to heat the downstairs floor. It kinda smells when you first turn it on, but it blazes 5 minutes later. Depending on the size of the house, this thing can do wonders. Just have to be safe with pets and children.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker01
Kerosene is great, the folks use it all winter to heat the downstairs floor. It kinda smells when you first turn it on, but it blazes 5 minutes later. Depending on the size of the house, this thing can do wonders. Just have to be safe with pets and children.
Does this heater have an oxygen depletion sensor? Also make sure there is a good carbon monoxide detector on the same floor as the heater...
TPM Coach #71

Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #10
Marker54
State Farm Pimp

Quote:
Does this heater have an oxygen depletion sensor?

What the fug is that?

...yes, there is a Carbon Monoxide detector.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
CuCullin
MCSE

Quote:
Solar energy is definitely an option thats out there but not for a 100 year old house.
It wasnt posted that is was 100yrs old until after I had typed out my reply

Also, your friend might not have gotten everything available. Dependant upon the expense, the tax rebates can make them effectively free. Also, they last much longer than they used to. $50k after rebates though? Seems way out there, whoever quoted was screwing them, or the house is not big but f'ing monstrous. Typical outlay for a home with appr. $75/month in electric costs is roughly $10k, you won't hit $50k unless usage is in the $300-$400/month range.

Quote:
Also, Compressors are not used for forced warm air sysems. They are either gas or oil fired. Some are kerosene fired but thats rare. Heat pumps use compressors but they are very rarely found in residential homes in NJ.
Depends on the system, but thats not the point.

For right now, limited work to be done, simply deal with the existing system, and plan for

Old 09-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
CuCullin
MCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker01
What the fug is that?

...yes, there is a Carbon Monoxide detector.
Actually, an ODS checks for CO and CO2.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
Throttle
Runway Diva

Send a message via AIM to Throttle

keep the heat off and stock up on winter coats, sweaters, and blankets!!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #14
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

body heat! its free!