View Single Post

199,000 BTUs of hot water bliss
Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Default 199,000 BTUs of hot water bliss

Well since we're posting some pics of home improvements....

Some background info first...

Started remodeling the main bathroom about 3 months ago.

After replacing the tub/shower hardware and putting in a new white tub to replace the old yellow one, I noticed the water was a bit orange... Figured it was just do to some of the new plumbing (which doesnt make much sense, in retrospect)

3 weeks ago GF complained about the water still being orange in the tub. Ok, so something else is up.. Must be the hot water heater.

1 week later (2 weeks ago)... No hot water. I had lost power the night before and thought it might have been something electrical (electronic igniter, perhaps). I don't get a chance to look at it until after work and then a devils game. When I do check it out, the basement floor is wet. ARGH, hot water heater has a leak.. Its 20 years old, time for a replacement.

I consider a tankless system at first, but pricing is $400 vs $1200. Buy a tank, get it home, have a friend come over to help install it, when he tells me I need "direct vent". The tank I bought has to get returned, and the tank I need is more like $800 and not very efficient. I should also be eligible for a $300 rebate from the state.

I go back to the original plan and get the tankless system recommended by Ralph (Navien CR-180A)... So when it breaks, I got somebody else to blame.

It takes a little longer to get hot water to the faucet, but once it starts flowing, it never stops!

For those of you that may have to replace a hot water tank in the future, consider a tankless system. There are some drawbacksof tankless systems but the Navien "A" series addresses many of those issue with the use of a buffer tank and recirculation pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2611s.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	6067  

Last edited by ffejtable; 01-19-2009 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: title typo