Thread: Pocono Repave
View Single Post

Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 AM   #17
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
I still don't get why you all hate Pocono. It's not my favorite place but you trade a little bit of surface for location. The East course is a great layout, lots of fun. If you can't handle a few (now less) bumps, how will you ever handle them anywhere else?
Bob,
maybe if I explain it this way it will not see like so much "hating" a towards Pocono.
I love that Pocono is less than 3 hours from me. I wish that they took better care of the infield. I like the layout of the East course but I am disappointed that the abuse the cars put to the asphalt degrades the quality of the ride there.

I like the layout of the East course as well as the FUSA and North courses. I believe the North is in the best shape of them all, but its the simplest of the three layouts that I like. FUSA got some much needed repairs last season with the two repair sections at the tunnel turn and the end of the back straight where the "turtle" used to be burried.

I think that every hobby that's worth is generally expensive. With that considered, I try to get the best bang for the buck and like to try different tracks as I can get to them. With the growing cost of participating in this sport, I would also like to see a decent facility for my $200+ track day.
I guess I can consider myself spoiled after getting to ride at VIR, Beaverun and
Summit Point. Summit has its track surface issues too, but compared to Pocono its still a world apart.

I guess I would put some effort into defending Pocono if they only spend a little time and effort in making some improvements to the layout of the East or FUSA layouts. Smoothing the terrain around the track so that anyone that runs off has a chance to not total the bike because they had the unfortunate luck to hit a pot hole in the grass after saving the possibilty of a crash.

I think its not too much to wish for and if they did some of this I would be more supportive of that facility.
See you Friday at FUSA.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain