View Single Post

Old 09-14-2006, 08:48 PM   #15
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78
Hey Brian, What springs are in there now? What did racetech recomend?
When your suspension was setup were you able to acheive the correct sag #'s?
I believe .95 kg/mm springs are in the front forks. Racetech recommendes .868 kg/mm for my weight so I went with the .85 kg/mm springs (also ran .85 kg/mm spring in my f4i last season).

For they rear shock spring they recommened a 8.99 kg/mm. So I purchased a 9.0 kg/mm

Dafan helped me set up my suspension this past july, and basically worked with me the entire day making minor adjustments to get it working right. We were able to set the correct sag, but with out me even saying anything yet about the bikes history he noticed the springs were way too stiff for my bodyweight.

I mentioned my riding my buddy's bike at VIR, because he still has the stock suspension on his. I checked up the specs, the 05 gsxr 1k has .95kg/mm in the front, and a 8.1 kg/mm rear shock spring (120 lb rider). Suspension wasn't even set up either. I didn't have confidence in the bike with entry speeds, the front end never really felt all there. One thing I did notice however was how the rear tire felt much more planted coming out of turns, espicially going down the hill at VIR north. My rear end likes to bounce or hop a lot coming out of turns, especially on beaver and pocono east. I asked Dafan about this, he said he can adjust the rear shock more, but then he is really over compensating for the high spring rate on it which can affect the bike in another aspect of riding.

Njracer: I definatly want to get the suspension looked at over the winter, but I don't know if I can drop well over 2k for ohlins goodies. But I am kind of siding with you on leaving the bike as-is, and just riding the thing out for the rest of the season, or wait to swap my springs until after beaverun when I just plan on doing a trackday or two before I race again.

But also I will probably be guest coaching at Beaverun, which means I will have a lot of seat time on the bike at varying speeds which would allow me to get comfortable on it before the race on sunday (riding sat & sun). While I work with red and white group riders I can also focus on showing them perfect lines and being smooth on the bike which also helps me understand more about riding the bike and feeling confident. I guess it all comes down to what do I want to gamble. I know on the bike right now, my confidence, on a fresh set of supercorsa's and new brake pads I will run consistent 1:02's at beaver, possibly get into the 1:01 range, I guess it is what are the other fast guys gonna be doing there? If I swap the suspension, get comfy and confident, could I run faster?

Anyways the parts arrived today, I appreciate everyones comments & insight. I will think about it more tonight and tommorow before the weekend - and decide if I'll start tearing things apart in my garage.

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Last edited by pillaka; 09-14-2006 at 08:50 PM..