View Single Post

Old 08-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #21
BurnCycle
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle

The Nissin radial on the TLS was done for experimentation and necessity… and it only cost $75. The 14mm conventional MC and 4-piston calipers left me cold one day while riding up the local mountain. I needed to brake heavily but couldn't squeeze hard enough to get the braking I wanted. I moved to the larger TLR caliper (6-piston) and needed a larger MC to push them. At the time no one had put the MC on a TLS and I wanted to see if it works with the larger calipers. It does, very nicely in fact.

The Brembo on the TLR was purchased to replace a broken AP Racing MC. I purchased it out of necessity. It works well; I have the same feel in the brakes at the end of the day as I did at the beginning. I only have an issue with the initial travel of the lever that I don't like.

Since I know the Nissin work with the 6-pistons I may end up selling the Brembo and getting another Nissin for the TLR.

My first track day was 3 years ago… It’s been all downhill since. I’m also riding a bikes that have been out of production for a while (3 for the TLR and 5 for the TLS) so updating them is up to me. If I wanted to get the best I’d be riding something.

BTW RCM… The ability to out brake another bike is based largely on rider skill and knowledge to use what they have. I am well aware that having top of the line equipment is nothing unless you know how to use it. The wet weight of a TLR is over 500lbs. Add another 230lbs for me and you’ll see my need to upgrade.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction… and sometimes a scar.