Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Unerwater welding (scuba) questions (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3800)

gsxryager024 10-11-2006 02:49 AM

Unerwater welding (scuba) questions

Well after 22 years of floating from job to job and not knowing what i want to do(i do know what i don't want to do and thats to be stuck in a 6X6 box) in life, I have decided to go into commercial diving. Actually underwater welding would be the ideal job. I am going for my first scuba Certification class this SAT!

My question is this, first does anyone know anyone who is in the "Underwater welding union"?

Second: I was looking into school that specialize in commercial diving and it takes 5 months to get certified. But do i really have to do this to get into the union or is it like an apprentiship and they teach me, and the cetification is optonial?

Third: Is welding under water the same as above? can i just take a class at the local College or Vo-tech and am i good to go?

Thanks all

benellis 10-11-2006 06:05 AM

I heard from some very good sources that underwater welding can be a very high paying job, but at the same time very risky. Many people die doing the underwater welding, but on the flip side, if they need you at say... an oil rig, they pay you from the time you leave your house, ride on the helicopter, to the completion of your job.
I believe you have to attend a specialized school, it can't be anything offered at a vo tech or community college type place.

jcblitz 10-11-2006 08:31 AM

I remember watching a show on the discovery channel about underwater welding. It was actually about ship wrecks, but the majority of it was welding. Unfortunately, one of the guys died doing it. What I got from it was it's a cool job (if that's your thing, 6x6 box is my thing), very niche, but high paying if you can land a contract.

sonny 10-11-2006 08:57 AM

Union? Fuck a union. Bunch of lazy, greedy bastards! I always see the "union" guys out here working in downtown.. there will be 10 of them digging a whole to install new pipes or something.. 9 of them will be sitting around and 1 guy will be working.. i walk out of work a few hours later for lunch, the same one guy is working and the other 9 are hollaring at girls or arueging with eachother.

I honestly dont see the point of a union now. Maybe 50 years ago when people were getting slaved and worked to death for low wages and no benefits.

Just look at the MTA!
</rant>

Mail the seat, focker!

I dont know of any schools but i'm sure there are some. google around.

Mike295 10-11-2006 09:02 AM

dude... tahts so awsome.. i used to scuba dive all the time... i was way in to it. I wanted to become an instructor to be honest and study marine bio... but i got talked out of following my one true dream.

ohh the welding thing is pretty cool they teach you so much congrats with it... have fun.

Cakes206 10-11-2006 09:08 AM

Damn, that has to be some cool stuff...good luck if you stick with it, found a link for ya:

http://www.trade-schools.net/directo...-directory.asp

jesse370 10-11-2006 09:21 PM

Yeah underwater welding is a high paying gig but is really dangerous.

And thank god we still have unions because they are still fighting for real benifits and pay for people, the unions go away and you will see a FLOOD of part timers and illegals in line to take those jobs.

ImmaSquashYou 10-11-2006 09:35 PM

this was what i have heard. A lot of underwater welders (like say for the holland tunnell or something major) are actually marines. They were actual divers with A LOT of experience. I believe thats where the money is at. So you might have to look into that if you want a really really high paying job...

Rock712 10-11-2006 09:44 PM

um, i worked in the oil field for a while we always had divers on board and the were all sorts of fucked up. sinuses were shot, we had a hyperbarric chamber on board...... if you want to do it go for it but look at the long term....