Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   hard drive crash recovery (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661)

jcblitz 08-15-2005 05:27 PM

hard drive crash recovery

Anyone use a hard drive crash recovery service? My data drive died today and need to get the data off it. The warranty ran out 1 month and 2 days ago...figures.
It sounds like the disks are spinning, but get a clunk every here and there. There are a bunch of companies that offer free evaluations so I'm thinking of giving them a shot first.

Can anyone recommend a company they have used or know someone that used it? Also, anyone have a ball park on what they charge?

Vin 08-15-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcblitz
Anyone use a hard drive crash recovery service? My data drive died today and need to get the data off it. The warranty ran out 1 month and 2 days ago...figures.
It sounds like the disks are spinning, but get a clunk every here and there. There are a bunch of companies that offer free evaluations so I'm thinking of giving them a shot first.

Can anyone recommend a company they have used or know someone that used it? Also, anyone have a ball park on what they charge?

My company used a data recovery service (unsuccessfully) and it ended up costing us over a thousand bucks for the drive. I'll get more detail from the help desk manager when he gets in tomorrow.

jcblitz 08-15-2005 06:16 PM

Thanks. I'm going to send it out for a free evaluation in a few days.
I'm building a new system asap, this setup fucked up my stuff for the last time. No way am I waiting for it to fry my $450 video card.

xstortion 08-16-2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I'm going to send it out for a free evaluation in a few days.
I'm building a new system asap, this setup fucked up my stuff for the last time. No way am I waiting for it to fry my $450 video card.

Bro is it that important?

Most likely going to cost u no less than $700 and that may not get everything off.

I think a local place is Ontrack.

Good luck

jcblitz 08-16-2005 01:05 PM

alot of the quotes i'm getting are $750 - $1000 :(
Right now i'm trying to open the drive because I think the heads crashed. If that's the case, i'm thinking maybe I can help them along and get it working long enough to get my data off. I've read a few success cases doing that.

xstortion 08-16-2005 01:55 PM

Quote:

alot of the quotes i'm getting are $750 - $1000 :(
Right now i'm trying to open the drive because I think the heads crashed. If that's the case, i'm thinking maybe I can help them along and get it working long enough to get my data off. I've read a few success cases doing that.

I know something that might make the drive work temporarily, throw it in the freezer for some reason that gives u a little time to get data off

Cakes206 08-16-2005 01:58 PM

It's hungry...feed it cake.

xstortion 08-16-2005 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes
It's hungry...feed it cake.

ice cream cake mmmm