Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Weightlifting/Body Building (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4403)

Kennedy 02-02-2007 03:00 PM

Weightlifting/Body Building

How many of you are currently into weight training or bodybuilding? If so what kind of schedule do you usually follow and what kind of weight do you put up.

Right now I'm trying various day splits trying to find the right one for me.
Currently this week I have done....
Back/cardio
Shoudlers/Abs
Chest/cardio
Quads/bi's
(today) Tri's/calves/hamstrings/cardio

If anyone is interested in the exercises I did for each body part just ask and I'll refer to my log and post up.

I feel that sometimes a 5 day split gives my muscles too long of a rest, Im thinking of trying a 4 or even 3 day split (whole body in 3-4 days)

Currently Im 167 lb's at 5'6 1/2" last body fat reading I had was about a month ago at 17% body fat. Im looking to lower that to anywhere from 12-14%.....When I started in June I was 155 lbs of flab. In early december I weighed in at 175 (of flab ;) ) and just began to diet and do alot more cardio to try and "cut up". I would like to get my weight to anywhere from back to 155 - 160 but keeping my strength and whatever muscle I currently have on my body.

I've been training since june and just hit my goal of Benching 225 x 3. My next goal for bench is to be able to hit 225 x 12 reps. Just a little background.......

Maybe if I get enough hits/responses ill post some before/after pics ;)

Vin 02-02-2007 03:10 PM

Queue "I'm 60lbs but I know all about bodybuilding because I read books and the internet" dolts in 5, 4, 3, 2...

I'll post more late when I have time.

My advice is to go heavy, eat, rest, eat, and go heavy again.

Rev 02-02-2007 03:20 PM

Sex is the best cardio....

Vin 02-02-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev (Post 58080)
Sex is the best cardio....

I bet your right hand has some insane grip.

jcblitz 02-02-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin (Post 58079)
Queue "I'm 60lbs but I know all about bodybuilding because I read books and the internet" dolts in 5, 4, 3, 2...

I'll post more late when I have time.

My advice is to go heavy, eat, rest, eat, and go heavy again.

That's a different sport bike related website. And if you're looking to tone up and be cut, body building isn't the avenue you want to investigate.

Vin 02-02-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcblitz (Post 58082)
if you're looking to tone up and be cut, body building isn't the avenue you want to investigate.

It absolutely is, because you can go through a (clean) bulking phase (eat a lot), and then shift gears to tone the gains.

Kennedy 02-02-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcblitz (Post 58082)
That's a different sport bike related website. And if you're looking to tone up and be cut, body building isn't the avenue you want to investigate.

Bodybuilding is the act of building/bulking and then cutting to show those gains you have made.

Weightlifting is the act of lifting weights to be as strong as you can physical appearance makes no difference to you

jcblitz 02-02-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin (Post 58083)
It absolutely is, because you can go through a (clean) bulking phase (eat a lot), and then shift gears to tone the gains.

All the body builders I know that aren't body builders anymore are now fatsos (I knew 3 competitive body builders a couple years back). The were telling me as they got older and went through their "bulking" stage for the season, it got harder and harder to turn that into muscle / burn it off where as they had no problems when they were younger. It seems to me that Kennedy doesn't have a problem putting on weight, where as someone who has problems putting on the pounds might want to build a base before toning. With that said I don't think that route would be the most beneficial for a person looking to get into shape and build some muscle mass in process instead of bulking up for competition. But that's just my take on what his goals are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennedy (Post 58084)
I would like to get my weight to anywhere from back to 155 - 160 but keeping my strength and whatever muscle I currently have on my body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennedy (Post 58084)
Bodybuilding is the act of building/bulking and then cutting to show those gains you have made.

Weightlifting is the act of lifting weights to be as strong as you can physical appearance makes no difference to you

It sounds like you want to loose weight and still maintain strength / size, doesn't sound like bulking to me. It sounds like toning.

Vin 02-02-2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcblitz (Post 58086)
All the body builders I know that aren't body builders anymore are now fatsos (I knew 3 competitive body builders a couple years back). The were telling me as they got older and went through their "bulking" stage for the season, it got harder and harder to turn that into muscle / burn it off where as they had no problems when they were younger. It seems to me that Kennedy doesn't have a problem putting on weight, where as someone who has problems putting on the pounds might want to build a base before toning. With that said I don't think that route would be the most beneficial for a person looking to get into shape and build some muscle mass in process instead of bulking up for competition. But that's just my take on what his goals are.

Totally understood, but you're comparing some competitive bodybuilders with an amateur who wants to put on size and cut it.

Additionally, you're saying that said individuals are "fatsos" -- maintaining muscle is basically a second (or third) job for people, and it doesn't come and maintain naturally. Shit, it doesn't automatically maintain via "chemicals" either.

I think you're correct on Kennedy's goals (but Chris can answer that). My advice is merely an oversimplification on the entire process. My mantra's been to lift heavy or not lift at all, and through a decent diet and keeping at the weight, I've been able to tone up (and gain size) considerably while being able to keep and enhance my strength.

High_Revs_17 02-02-2007 04:06 PM

If you're looking to maintain decent lap times tone up, don't bulk up. You'll also develop better stamina from toning than bulking, just the thing you need for trackdays/racing, and I'm sure your woman won't mind the end results either.

Xracer264 02-02-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennedy (Post 58077)
How many of you are currently into weight training or bodybuilding? If so what kind of schedule do you usually follow and what kind of weight do you put up.

Right now I'm trying various day splits trying to find the right one for me.
Currently this week I have done....
Back/cardio
Shoudlers/Abs
Chest/cardio
Quads/bi's
(today) Tri's/calves/hamstrings/cardio

If anyone is interested in the exercises I did for each body part just ask and I'll refer to my log and post up.

I feel that sometimes a 5 day split gives my muscles too long of a rest, Im thinking of trying a 4 or even 3 day split (whole body in 3-4 days)

Currently Im 167 lb's at 5'6 1/2" last body fat reading I had was about a month ago at 17% body fat. Im looking to lower that to anywhere from 12-14%.....When I started in June I was 155 lbs of flab. In early december I weighed in at 175 (of flab ;) ) and just began to diet and do alot more cardio to try and "cut up". I would like to get my weight to anywhere from back to 155 - 160 but keeping my strength and whatever muscle I currently have on my body.

I've been training since june and just hit my goal of Benching 225 x 3. My next goal for bench is to be able to hit 225 x 12 reps. Just a little background.......

Maybe if I get enough hits/responses ill post some before/after pics ;)

Kennedy,

I currently train or excercise three to four days a week. Since I haven't trained for a while here is what I do currently:

Abs every workout
Finish with cardio after every workout except Quads (I'll usually warm up some cardio)
Day 1 - Chest/ biceps and triceps
Day 2 - back and shoulders
Day 3 - quads, hamstrings and calves

At my age I'm just looking to stay "fit" and tone. Plus I don't have alot of time to go to the gym like I did when I was 21....LOL

shadoxkila 02-02-2007 08:07 PM

cardio everyday if your trying to lose weight....worst part of the workout, but completely necessary. you'd actually be surprised about how much your diet can effect everything also no matter how much you workout

day1:chest
day2-back
day3-shoulders
day4-legs
day5-arms
cardio everyday

as far as weight i just put the weight as heavy as i can so i can do between 5-8 reps

ImmaSquashYou 02-02-2007 09:31 PM

hymm....i know ur suppose to let your muscles rest or what not. But i work out about 3-4 days a week. start off with either 4 miles on elliptical or 2 miles running/walking. But i do back, chest, biceps, triceps, basically everything on the upper body everyday. I do legs once week. But then again, i ski/snowboard so i can't really push it that hard otherwise it would suck on the mountain. I was hurting at first n my muscles didn't recover that quickly. But since now, my muscles have been recovering fine and i don't get sore at all.

Ant 02-02-2007 09:57 PM

I have been hitting the gym for about 3 months now. PM cakes for a good workout because I just do what he tells me too. :lol:

Also, Vin is right. For those of you who don't believe him, you should see him in person. He's a pretty big guy.

HookRone 02-02-2007 10:14 PM

Kennedy, congrats on metting your goal. I need to set myself a bench goal.

I do a 3 day split.

1. Chest/Tris
2. Back/ Bi's
3. Back/legs

30-40 min cardio

Try to pack on somemore mass for the summer. :) Actually cutting down calories and try to cut.