Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Sub question (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4040)

xstortion 11-24-2006 09:32 PM

Sub question

One of the subs in my car is having a problem. I am looking to replace the pair since they are pretty old. Any recommendations?
I am currently using JL's and I wouldn't mind sticking with them

jcblitz 11-24-2006 09:34 PM

What series JL? And what's the volume of the box they're in? Seal, Ported, or Bandpass? How many RMS are you pushing to each? And what's the max?

Cakes206 11-24-2006 09:41 PM

I've been out of the loop for a little while, but the JL Audio W6 seriers was the shit! W6's always worked best when running 3 due to their OHM rating. Stick with JL's man. Ahhh, the good 'ol days of setting off the Qwiky Mart silent alarm from the glass vibrating :whistle:

xstortion 11-24-2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcblitz (Post 53102)
What series JL? And what's the volume of the box they're in? Seal, Ported, or Bandpass? How many RMS are you pushing to each? And what's the max?

Honestly don't remember the series because it was such a long time ago that I got these.

I don't currently have the dimensions of the box

Its a ported box.

RMS? A little out of my range of expertease I am not gonna lie I really don't know shit about it :)

Running old school pioneer head unit, zapco 600 watt 4 channel amp, components = mb quarts front and rear

CBRBob 11-25-2006 12:33 AM

Take a sub out and get the model# off it. What amp is running the subs? You listed all the components we don't need to know LOL.

High_Revs_17 11-25-2006 05:16 AM

Here's a simple guide to help you, just match up the details of each sub to your system's capabilities and you can't go wrong. Keep in mind more expensive subs aren't always better regarding your needs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zDXt7pF...&l=&avf=N&pg=1

AfricanBootyScratcher 11-26-2006 02:38 AM

psst...
crutchfield is a joke
W6's were not as great as everybody thought, yes they were good, but mostly lots of hype yet very inefficient. I have built cars using the w0's that sounded better and hit harder then ones with w6's using much less power and spending much less of the customers budget.
enclosure is the most important thing in setting up a subwoofer system, so if that one was designed for those subs (especially with it being ported) then replace with the same for best result. personally I prefer sealed for the best overall sound.
if you wanna start from scratch then JL is a great way to go, another great sub is from immage dynamics.
Zapco, huh? best amps made, but which model? I don't recall a 4 channel 600watt. and how do you have it wired? was it powering all the speakers in the car?
btw, back in a different life time, when I used to own a shop with billace, I was rated one of the top installers in america and built many IASCA world champion vehicles, as well as won the Daytona Spring Break National Sound Off multiple times, and had quite a few cars featured in magazines, so I'm not talking out of my ass.

Cakes206 11-26-2006 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanBootyScratcher (Post 53211)
Zapco, huh? best amps made

Better than McIntosh?

jcblitz 11-26-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes982 (Post 53216)
Better than McIntosh?

Better than pyramid? :ride:

Cakes206 11-26-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcblitz (Post 53221)
Better than pyramid? :ride:

:haha:

CBRBob 11-26-2006 11:51 AM

Jensen rules!!!!

xstortion 11-28-2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanBootyScratcher (Post 53211)
psst...
crutchfield is a joke
W6's were not as great as everybody thought, yes they were good, but mostly lots of hype yet very inefficient. I have built cars using the w0's that sounded better and hit harder then ones with w6's using much less power and spending much less of the customers budget.
enclosure is the most important thing in setting up a subwoofer system, so if that one was designed for those subs (especially with it being ported) then replace with the same for best result. personally I prefer sealed for the best overall sound.
if you wanna start from scratch then JL is a great way to go, another great sub is from immage dynamics.
Zapco, huh? best amps made, but which model? I don't recall a 4 channel 600watt. and how do you have it wired? was it powering all the speakers in the car?
btw, back in a different life time, when I used to own a shop with billace, I was rated one of the top installers in america and built many IASCA world champion vehicles, as well as won the Daytona Spring Break National Sound Off multiple times, and had quite a few cars featured in magazines, so I'm not talking out of my ass.

Well my guess is what I have are W 0's but I can't be 100% sure on that.

I had a typo its a 400 watt amp

Zapco 360 AG 4 channel. I love it it beats any amp I have ever had. The guy that did the job has it powering everything in the car so I wouldn't have to have a seperate amp for the subs. The radio I have also requires power.

I am thinking any kind of JL will work for me but I have no idea about the different models and what not. Thats where I am askin for a little hand :)

Cakes206 11-28-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xstortion (Post 53357)
I am thinking any kind of JL will work for me but I have no idea about the different models and what not. Thats where I am askin for a little hand :)

10W6v2 look sick.

jcblitz 11-28-2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes982 (Post 53358)
10W6v2 look sick.

Thats what I think I'm going to. I have 2 12's now which is just overkill so I'm going to go down to 1 10.

Tonupboy 11-28-2006 11:54 AM

Im selling a 10" JLW6 Sealed box (hard hitting bass as opposed to ported for deep bass), also a 600W Rockford fosgate and Sony head unit and Mp3/cd 10 cd changer. If anyone is interested let me know.